Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #1

Share |

burying a post

Alright, I am putting up some railing around my lower patio area and have one small question. I havebeen using the exsiting deck posts and connecting the railing, but now i need to add a shorter post to give myself and end support. I am using 6x6 treated beams. I plan on digging out a hole and probably burying about 18" and then have an overall height of about 4' above ground. this post is mostly just for looks and will have about a 4' section of railing attached. My question is do I really need to concrete that post in or can i just bury it? Common sense tells me to concrete it, but just wondering.
Thanks
sleepy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #2

burying a post

Usually you want 1/3 of the post to be below ground, so for your application, you would probably want a 6 foot tall post buried 2 feet in the ground. With as cheap and easy as it is to mix a bag of quikrete, I would say it is better to go ahead and use it.

I have built horse fences without using concrete at all, but the posts were buried a lot deeper and I added support to them. Seeing as this will be off of your patio and is an end post, it could end up being subject to a lot of wear and stress.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #3

burying a post

You're supposed to go down to the frost line for your particular area so the post doesn't heave with freezing and thawing, and the very bottom of the hole should have some gravel in it to drain water away from the edge grain exposed at the bottom of the post.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #4

burying a post

It would be better to go deeper , to at least 36" or more and to use the concrete . One bag of concrete will be more than enough.
Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #5

burying a post

the frost line here is 12"
given that and the recommendations, I believe i will be going 18-24" deep and use concrete. this is not a heavy duty application and i doubt that anyone would hardly ever even lean against it.
sleepy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #6

burying a post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy23 View Post
the frost line here is 12"
given that and the recommendations, I believe i will be going 18-24" deep and use concrete. this is not a heavy duty application and i doubt that anyone would hardly ever even lean against it.
A 6x6 post 18" deep occupies 0.38 cu ft., a 10" dia. hole 18" deep occupies 0.82 cu ft., so you'll need 0.44 cu ft of concrete.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote