Bulkhead Over HVAC Issue! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Bulkhead over HVAC issue!

Okay here is my plan but I am unsure if it will work or not. I have a section of duct work running next to my load bearing wall. The hvac itself is max 9" below the floor joists and at max 21" wide so basically 9x21" This hvac runs about 40 feet down the wall as it feeds the house. I have an area that I want to finish about 900 sq ft of this particular room. For looks and looks only I want to make a bulkhead around the entire room so it hides and disguises the real hvac. My question is since my span is about 22" wide I'd assume I would have to use 2x4's for the whole thing. If so would I be able to run the 2x4 the horizontal direction or would I go vertical. I'd like to go horizontal as it would give me an extra bit of room to work with on my overall wall heigh. what I dont want is the bottom of the bulkhead to sag due to the weight of the rock. I would think a 22" span would allow me to utilize the across board being run horizonal. I plan on using 1/2" but let me know if 5/8 is what I need. Code requires at least 1/2. Please let me know your thoughts before I start the project. Thanks

Advertisement

ryan5068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Bulkhead over HVAC issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5068 View Post
Okay here is my plan but I am unsure if it will work or not. I have a section of duct work running next to my load bearing wall. The hvac itself is max 9" below the floor joists and at max 21" wide so basically 9x21" This hvac runs about 40 feet down the wall as it feeds the house. I have an area that I want to finish about 900 sq ft of this particular room. For looks and looks only I want to make a bulkhead around the entire room so it hides and disguises the real hvac. My question is since my span is about 22" wide I'd assume I would have to use 2x4's for the whole thing. If so would I be able to run the 2x4 the horizontal direction or would I go vertical. I'd like to go horizontal as it would give me an extra bit of room to work with on my overall wall heigh. what I dont want is the bottom of the bulkhead to sag due to the weight of the rock. I would think a 22" span would allow me to utilize the across board being run horizonal. I plan on using 1/2" but let me know if 5/8 is what I need. Code requires at least 1/2. Please let me know your thoughts before I start the project. Thanks
You don't need any framing across the bottom if its only 22". There are houses and additions being framed every day w/24" centers in alot of areas. That leaves 22-1/2 in between for sheetrock. Frame your two sides and then nail your sheetrock to the bottom of your two sides. If you don't like that add 3/8 plywood first to the bottom and then sheetrock over that. No reason to loose any headroom for 22" span.

Advertisement