Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #1

Share |

Bulge in vinyl siding

I have about average knowledge for a person never having worked in this field. We just bought this house (built in 2001) and was a little surprised to find a bulge behind the siding. It has brick on the front and vinyl around the sides with a brick trim at the base of the house. It is definitely the exterior sheathing bulging. I was going to remove the siding(just in that area) and then remove that section of the sheathing to see if water damage was the cause or I was told maybe the fastener schedule was not followed. First question should I remove that entire piece of sheathing and replace it or should I just patch that section. I have been told to patch but I have questions about that and feel as though I should replace the piece of sheathing being it could be structural. Second I know some sheathing is structural, will it hurt my house to remove it just to look behind it? Third has anyone dealt with this before and what would be my best course of action. One thing I can say is that I am fairly certain moisture is to blame. Any thoughts will be great, thanks! If you need more info just let me know.

mjwiseman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #2

Bulge in vinyl siding

It could be s bowed stud is the an indent in same spot on inside of house( use a long straight edge snd see if there I'd an indent. Secondly u can replace just patch it will be fine

kaschmid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #3

Bulge in vinyl siding

Where do you think this water is coming from? Ice dam on roof, leaking eaves trough, bad roofing job, leaking window? You should address the water infiltration problem before fixing the water damage or you wind up doing it again
daveb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Bulge in vinyl siding

What kind of sheathing?

If it is compressed fiber board of similar, they can bulge and swell with just a bit of water and even an amount that is from a wind driven rain event that is otherwise a functioning wall system.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #5

Bulge in vinyl siding

Fairly confident it is OSB but like I said just bought the house. The bulge on the outside is directly opposite of my master shower. People that lived there before me did not clean the gutters out and it appears water is running behind the gutters possibly. I cleaned them out and will ascertain whether the gutters need to be tightened in case they are loose. I will def fix the water issue just concerned about removing the sheathing. Will that cause any issues to just remove that piece? When this happens are they typically patched or entire piece of sheathing replaced. Appreciate your help!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Bulge in vinyl siding

Before I would get too carried away, I would pop the siding loose in that spot and have a look. It may just be that a nail or two backed out. You'll just need to drive them back in and add a couple in between. If you open it up and find damage, then you can prepare by getting some materials on hand before you start a major overhaul. A lot depends on where this is and what's nearby. If the sheathing is bad, you'll want to replace it, but replacing an entire sheet may not be necessary or feasible. If there is a window through part of the sheet, for example, you won't want to disturb it. Cut the bad spot back to the center of the nearest stud and patch it. It will be fine.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #7

Bulge in vinyl siding

Thanks maint 6 it is near a window so that is exactly what I was wondering. Thanks
Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #8

Bulge in vinyl siding

Got a picture?
Lots of simple things can cause siding to bow out.
Nailed to tight.
Nail not installed in the center of the hole in the nailing fin.
No under sill (also called utility trim) used under the window.
House wrap wrinkled up under the siding.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote