Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Built-in deck bench

So, to begin, I'm a total noob when it comes to construction design and construction in general. I have built a deck, with the help of several friends, and we had made the support posts considerably longer than they needed to be when we were burying them in concrete. Someone suggested I should build an l-shaped bench in the corner and use those posts as supports for the bench. So I added a couple more posts that I attached to the joists to make the span approximately 3' between posts.

I have a pretty good idea of how I think i should build it, but have a few questions. I will be using 3 - 2 x 6 cedar boards for the seat and 2 x 6 cross braces? that will be attached to the 4x4 with two carriage bolts. The 4x4's only sit about 1 1/2" or so away from the edge of the deck. It's been suggested that I not have the bench overhang the deck, which means the cross braces will overhang the 4x4 by only about an inch or less on the outside of the deck and then about 10" or so on the other side. Do I need to put in a brace between the cross braces attached back to the 4x4 as shown in my crude little drawing?

I've also attached what I want my bench to look like eventually, but for right now I won't be putting any trim boards around it, which unfortunately means I will be seeing the pt. Any suggestions on hiding those a little bit, like 45 degree cuts or something?

Also, any good ideas on how to support the boards on the corner post for the 45 degree cut where they come together?

Any other helpful suggestions on building this thing would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Built-in deck bench-deck.jpg   Built-in deck bench-deck-bench.jpg   Built-in deck bench-bench.jpg  

vikefan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #2

Built-in deck bench

Anyone?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,200

Built-in deck bench

OK, I’ll bite.

If you notice the outside “wrap” is a 1X8, 7 ½” wide.

What you do is this.

A 2x4 is 3 ½” wide, so you attach a 2x4 ledger to wrap around flush to the top of your post.

The top of your post should be whacked off at 13” above the deck.

You want to end up with a 18” bench.

Then you build a baby joist system to accommodate the 3 deck boards for the seat and still have a reveal for the wrap that will sit on top of your 2x4 ledger.

Your 1x8 wrap will cover all of this.

My guess for the picture shown, you'll need a 14 1/2” joist frame sitting on a 8” span ledger that you will have if you run your 2x4 ledger after you wrap the post.

Now you have a 3 ¼“” cantilever off each side of your 2x4 rim system, plenty strong enough to support the 3 5/4 or 2x6’s for your bench, as shown.

Do you need the angle brace? No.

Glue and screws will help.

Sorry, had a few beers, someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 06-10-2010 at 08:09 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Built-in deck bench

The drawing is the plan from which I made the bench in the photos.

All it needed was the two diagonals for lateral stability. Doesn't look like you'd need these.
Attached Thumbnails
Built-in deck bench-img_0103.jpg   Built-in deck bench-img_0105.jpg   Built-in deck bench-img_0097.jpg   Built-in deck bench-bench-seat.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: skp Bench Seat.skp (118.9 KB, 227 views)

Last edited by Willie T; 06-10-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #5

Built-in deck bench

Thanks both of you for the input. Willie T I wish I would've seen your bench before I put this deck together. It looks really good. I will have something similar but you'll be seeing pt instead of the cross braces matching the wood of the deck... What kind of wood is that anyway? Is that how cedar looks with just a clear coat? If so, I think that's what I'm going to do.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #6

Built-in deck bench

Ok, so here it is. I shouldn't have done some things I did on the bench that seem to clutter it a little bit. Probably could've done some things to make it a littler cleaner but too late to change them now.

The picnic table that's on there will not be sitting there when the kids are using it And the deck is level in the front, the ground isn't...what a muddy mess.

I'm just glad to have it all done, with the exception of pressure washing and applying waterproofing that is.
Attached Thumbnails
Built-in deck bench-finished-deck-back-angle.jpg   Built-in deck bench-finished-deck-angle-2.jpg   Built-in deck bench-bench.jpg  
Old 06-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Built-in deck bench

turned out nice!
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Built-in deck bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikefan7 View Post
Thanks both of you for the input. Willie T I wish I would've seen your bench before I put this deck together. It looks really good. I will have something similar but you'll be seeing pt instead of the cross braces matching the wood of the deck... What kind of wood is that anyway? Is that how cedar looks with just a clear coat? If so, I think that's what I'm going to do.
It's all just pine with a light stain and waterproofing afterward.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote