Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #1

Share |

built in closet organizer.

So My wife and I purchased a condo and i decided that the wire shelving that comes with it will not be acceptable. I was entertaining the thought of building my own built in closet organizer. At the moment i don't have the exact dimensions but the room is roughly 6'X5' with the door pretty close to center and one of the five foot walls. this is just coming from memory. I have requested exact dimensions from the builder which should be emailed to me this week. By trade I am a electrician and I have done a little bit of framing and trim moulding for carpentry but i have never really attempted finish carpentry. I was wondering If anyone had some good websites to go to to grab some ideas from. Also I am posting from Canada.

also I can't always get access to my internet so i may go a day or two in between posts.

thefatpigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #2

I actually wanted to post this in carpentry. If a Mod could move this post to the right forum that would be awesome.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatpigeon View Post
So My wife and I purchased a condo and i decided that the wire shelving that comes with it will not be acceptable. I was entertaining the thought of building my own built in closet organizer. At the moment i don't have the exact dimensions but the room is roughly 6'X5' with the door pretty close to center and one of the five foot walls. this is just coming from memory. I have requested exact dimensions from the builder which should be emailed to me this week. By trade I am a electrician and I have done a little bit of framing and trim moulding for carpentry but i have never really attempted finish carpentry. I was wondering If anyone had some good websites to go to to grab some ideas from. Also I am posting from Canada.

also I can't always get access to my internet so i may go a day or two in between posts.
My best advice is don't do it.

There are many excellent pre-fab closet systems that can be assembled and re-configured quickly, since the parts are all standard sizes and interchangeable, and the hardware is all standard and so forth. If you attempt to 'roll your own' you have two problems: one is if you screw it up, you can only fix it by tearing it apart. The second one is that the level of finish required so that clothes don't get scuffed/snagged must be darned perfect. That will require top-notch materials as well as LOTS of time to get it even halfway riight. So the investment of time/materials may be huge, while the end result will be something your partner may never stop complaining about.

http://www.closetmaid.com

http://www.onlineorganizing.com/Usef...odularshelving
Robo_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #4

thanks for the forsight. will look at that
Old 05-05-2011, 01:55 AM   #5

You can pick up closet components at a big box store and configure any setup you want. These are white melamine over flakeboard. They come with holes drilled for adjustable shelving.
You just decide on the storage setup you want and build it to suit.
Much cheaper then a modular system, but not as sophisticated.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #6

My wife conned me into doing a california closet system a few years ago. so we did. even their system is a melamine.

baum is offline   Reply With Quote