Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #1

Share |

Built in bookshelfs / cabinets

right now my living room has two sets of built in cabinets / book shelfs around my fireplace... they look bad.. they are painted and I would like stained wood there already tried to sand them down and strip them and the wood underneath, while nice solid oak, was not built nice they covered a lot of problems up with wood putty and some places wood that doesnt look so great...

but I want to replace them and the wood fireplace mantel also to match, but my problem is I dont know where to get stuff like this, any idea of companies that will make them to order for specific sized spaces? these go floor to cieling and are about 5 ft wide... bottom is cabinetry the top is a tv area and book shelves..

any companies you guys worked with or know of any good ones that can get this done for me in western pennsylvania? thanks!
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
RDS

Sounds to me like what you want is not to place an order with a "company", but rather to find a local carpenter/cabinetmaker who can come in, measure, and make what you want. Or (in the spirit of a DIY forum) get a book on built-ins and make it yourself! You might find it enjoyable.
RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #3

I'd just do a search for carpenters/cabinet maker in your area...maybe start with the bbb website for companies with "carpentry" or "cabinetry" in their name...that's how some folks find us.

You should be able to pull up many websites of businesses in your area through a google search.

We did these a few years ago.

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...YmY5MTZi&hl=en
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote