Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Building a workshop.

I'm in the early planning stage of building a backyard workshop/sauna. I live in Anchorage, the area is fairly well drained, but this winter the frost penetrated to 8+ feet. A slab is out of the question, so I thought of using sonotubes to build the structure on, but I think pier blocks would be easier to use and manipulate. What do you think? Pier blocks vs sonotubes?

billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #2

Building a workshop.

8 feet WOW. How far down do they require footings for new construction up there let me say it again 8 feet WOW. I am in Eastern Wa and our frost line is 2 feet so that is how for we need to go down.

warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #3

Building a workshop.

We had frost-jacked fire hydrants and broken lines all over town this year. I think they said on the news that frost went down to 10 feet in some areas because November was very cold with no snow to insulate.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #4

Building a workshop.

If you want it done the best way possible I would do a pole barn style and get tubes down as far as you can. Saying that I am building a 12 by 12 playhouse for my daughter and I only went down 6 inches. But for where you are at I would go down deep if you can. The ground moves a lot up there does it not? I think I heard that somewhere.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #5

Building a workshop.

If this workshop/ sauna is a stand a lone building, do and an Alaskian pour, slab will raise and fall when frost heave, You either have to below frost line or on top of it.
Gary
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #6

Building a workshop.

Just curios what is an Alaskan pour slab. It does not get that cold in most places? Does the thing just float on top of the perma frost?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #7

Building a workshop.

The municipality of Anchorage recommends a slab, sonotubes set to 5 feet, or building on skids...like on railroad ties. I'm looking at a 14' x 20' building, so slab is out of my price range. I could get the sonotubes down to 5 feet, but I'm thinking the easiest solution is to build it on raised railroad ties. Has anyone ever done this?