Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a woodwork shop in backyard

Hi,
I am planning to build a woodworking shop this spring in the backyard. It will have a raised floor on 6x6 posts buried below the frost line. The shop will be a simple 16x20 gable shed. It will have T111 siding on the stud walls with a 4/12 pitch roof. I plan to set the floor joists on two outside 20' beams (doubled up 2X10's notched in the 6x6 posts) supported every 4 foot by 6x6 posts. The joists will be 2x12's 16"oc. spanning between the two outside beams. All the lumber is rated at no. 2 or better. Does anyone see a reason why this wouldn't hold up?

Thanks Deck

deck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Any exposed framing should be pressture treated. In our area, that requires a permit, and they would have to pass judgement on the design and location on the lot.

That can be a lot of space, or quickly become too small, depends on what you are planning for the space. But my experience is, it is always to small.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #3

The only thing I'd definately change is the 6x6's. I'd really avoid doing that.

Instead, use concrete. Dig your piers plenty big to support that structure. Your soil conditions and local requirements will determine the diameter for the size of building you're doing. Here, they'd be around 18" diameter I imagine. The piers should extend above ground and can be formed up with lumber or with sonotube. Imbed a Simpson EPB44A, CB44, or similar post/beam base in the tops of the piers to receive the beams.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #4

Thanks for your comments guys. I thought long and hard about the piers. I have built all of my other sheds and decks with the 6x6 pressure treats with good footings and never had any issues. My yard is very sloped with very solid soil. I figure I'll be long gone before those 6x6's are rotted out. However, the city may prefer I use concrete piers...we'll have to see.

Since the shed is 16X20 I am wondering if I should go with 3 beams for more stability which should allow me to drop my joist to 2x8's.

deck
Old 02-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Deck 99, you asked this before on another thread. I think you'd be a lot happier with a floating slab if your soil conditions allow it. What you're doing isn't the recommended approach. It's like driving a car around with octagon tires. Yes, it might work but there is a better way.

Josh Jaros
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #6

Jaros,
It's not an uncommon building method. I am leaning this way because of my yard location and the fact that I like to walk on a wood floor rather than concrete. Since it's a woodworking shop I'll be standing most of the time.

It really boils down to choice. I like to work with wood and I really like the old cabin type construction methods.

deck
Old 02-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
SNC

Rewards Points: 75

sounds ok, but like termite said concrete coming out of the ground would be much better.
spacing your 6x6 post 4 foot, is over kill, you could easilly make it 8 feet.
But over kill is better than under built.
SNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #8

Thanks SNC.

I am going to look at the concrete. I am in no hurry and since I only need 4 piers on each side it shouldn't be too bad. I live in Nebraska and our local code is 48" footers.

My next home work assignment is to find details on how to set/level footings and level the sono tubes.

deck
Old 02-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deck99 View Post
My next home work assignment is to find details on how to set/level footings and level the sono tubes.
Use stakes and strings to create a level grid after your holes are dug. Use the strings to set the sonotubes at the right height.

A more high-tech approach would be a rented 360 degree rotating laser.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #10

The laser is a great idea.