Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #1

Share |

Building a wood beam

What would you say? 3 - 2 X 6 (nailed and glued with 1/2" plywood) to support existing truss rafters with a tin roof (16 on center) in FL. The span of the building is 36'. (I story building; no attic)
How often do I need to put a support?

josephs_house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
old guy contractor

Building a wood beam

Need a pic or layout sketch
Not enough info for a reliable answer.

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #3

Building a wood beam

I have a sketch but being new to this I haven't a clue. I know how to send attachments and I see here that it is possible but don't seem to be able to do it. Sorry. Thanks anyway
josephs_house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
old guy contractor

Building a wood beam

Scan it
then post like a picture.
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
I ask the impossible!

Building a wood beam

While you're makig a post, if you're using quick reply then click the "go advanced" button

So from there, click manage attachments, then from the new window click "browse" and find the file, select it and click ok. Then click the upload button. After it's done uploading you can click to close that window, then finish your post and the picture will show up under your post when you finish the post.

So with that said, this is more likely than not to be a question that ought to be directed to an engineer. It sounds like you're asking about something for an existing structure, and assuming it was built to code, some more info about why you think a beam needs to be added and what you intend to accomplish with it?

Being that this is in Florida, I'd guess that there may be hurricane related code requirements that I would not be familiar with...
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #6

Building a wood beam

If your 2x6 is #2 douglas fir, then with a 5' span it can support 908 lbs. 6' span = 756#; 7' = 648 lbs; 8' = 567#; 9' = 504; 10' = 453. If you add three pieces together, then they can carry 3x.

Now, look up the weight of 2x4 by the foot and add up how much is in half your truss. Add in your purloins, add in the weight of your roof, and anything else that will be supported. Look up the wind loads for your location and add them in. Be sure you use the appropriate fasteners.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote