Building A Wall Under A Beam - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a wall under a beam

Hey guys, I am trying to figure out the best way to build a wall in my basement under a metal I-beam that is 4.5 inches wide. The person who owned the house before me actually framed a wall there already which is pretty close to what I wan't but he used 2x4's and the beam is a whole inch wider then the wall studs so I am not sure how you could put up the drywall and such with the wall built in that way. Thanks for your patience I am a total newb to this stuff.

Advertisement

wfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrench View Post
Hey guys, I am trying to figure out the best way to build a wall in my basement under a metal I-beam that is 4.5 inches wide. The person who owned the house before me actually framed a wall there already which is pretty close to what I wan't but he used 2x4's and the beam is a whole inch wider then the wall studs so I am not sure how you could put up the drywall and such with the wall built in that way. Thanks for your patience I am a total newb to this stuff.
Box the beam in and call it a day…

Advertisement

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #3

ok, that works for me. Thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Frame the 2x4 wall flush to one side of the I-beam and then pack out the other side of the wall with 5/4 which measures 1".
Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #5

I'm sorry Joe, can you explain this "pack out the other side of the wall with 5/4 which measures 1". Is it using multiple layers of drywall that you mean or something else? Sorry like I said I am a total newb.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Electrician

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
I'm sorry Joe, can you explain this "pack out the other side of the wall with 5/4 which measures 1". Is it using multiple layers of drywall that you mean or something else? Sorry like I said I am a total newb.
What he is saying to do is put a piece of 5/4" (1" strips of wood) down each stud to shim the drywall out far enough to match the top.

I say screw it, just do like this guy is trying to do on one side: How do you do this straight edge?
VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Either way is good. Just box the beam in, or build out one side 1". If you build the wall out, I'd put the 5/4x3 (rip a 5/4x6 or use 5/4x4) horizontally. It'll be easier to drywall
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #8

Great, I got it. Thanks for explaining that to me.

Advertisement