Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

Building a wall for cabinets

I want to build a wall in my work shop. Its main purpose is to help me stay organized. I will add cabinets to it as well. The wall is parallel to the trusses. My first step is going to be to add blocking between two of the trusses, so I have something to nail the top plate to. I was then going to use a plumb line to align the sole plate. I will then proceed to toe nail in the studs. I can not build the wall on the ground because of space constraints. Does this seem like the most efficient way to build it? What size blocking should I use?
Thanks in advance

bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

2 by 4 or 2 x 6. whatever you have.
same as the top/bottom plates would be enough. space them the same as the trusses, ie: 16 or 24 o/c should be good
it would be easier to install the bottom plate (pressure treated if on concrete) and then use the plumb bob to place your top plate.
any chance that you can interlock the top plate into existing walls? is there backing in place down the adjoining wall?
doubling the bottom plate is a good idea, too, in case your nails are long enough to strike the floor and cause you some grief.

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Although your shop trusses are probably not carrying any serious weight, it is never good to build any kind of firm wall up tight to the bottoms of trusses. When you support trusses that way in a location they were not designed to be supported, you actually weaken them. And this can cause them to break.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Although your shop trusses are probably not carrying any serious weight, it is never good to build any kind of firm wall up tight to the bottoms of trusses. When you support trusses that way in a location they were not designed to be supported, you actually weaken them. And this can cause them to break.
How do you weaken them by building a wall under them? I am not saying you are wrong but just asking the question as this doesnt make sense to me.

Also to the poster if you have a laser or can get one, snap the lines for the baseplate then **** the laser up to locate your top plate. If you are going 2x4 wall I would with with a 2x6 blocking but that would be my personal preference
wnabcptrNH is offline   Reply With Quote