DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Building up a Deeply Sunken Living Room with Fire Place

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  robertcdf 
#1 · (Edited)
My husband and I are interested in purchasing a home with a deeply sucken living room area (maybe 3 feet deep) with a fireplace. The sunken area is completely useless and a potential safety hazard. How feasible and costly will it be to raise the area and level the flooring? We are indifferent about keeping the fireplace.

How would we go about building this area up?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
You could use 2 x 8 joist or maybe fill it with sand than pore a concrete pad. We need some detailed photos on how its built. Is this a slab? Whats under this floor? What is the floor made of?

If you got creative you could put in a floor safe, make it extra storage, or add some electrical. Dig deeper and make a storm shelter?

#5 ·
I wouldn't think it was a difficult job at all....some good suggestions above....

The fireplace looks like it would be real easy to remove....and you could most likely sell it....I'm sure there are plenty of retired folks there who want to looks of their hippy days back.....

I think I would be inclined to go with the wood construction floor suggestion.....then if you ever sell the house, the next owners could pull it out if they wanted the sunken floor.

One suggestion....if you go the wood route....use 1 1/8" T&G plywood. I'm doing a 2-story addition right now and I'm amazed at just how stiff that plywood is. It is almost as good as walking on concrete....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.