Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
I can tie my own shoes

Rewards Points: 75

Building stud walls in a crawlspace

I have a dirt floor crawlspace (appx 270 sq ft) and would like to build some walls so that I can cover XPS foam with drywall. In order to do this, I need a way to fasten the bottom plate of the wall to the ground. With it being just dirt, this makes it difficult. Instead of pouring a whole slab for the crawlspace, which would be pretty pricey, I thought of doing a perimeter pour or using precast concrete blocks with mortar. This would be cheaper and less labor intensive. The part I don't know how to do is how to actually make the footings for the concrete? What do I put underneath the concrete so that they will not shift, crack, and then have to redo it later. Or is this completely wrong headed? Other ideas for covering XPS foam with drywall?

I know you could use furring strips to mount the drywall to the foam but this still leaves the top and bottom of the foam exposed.

dennis

algored2deth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,078

Ayuh,... Are these gonna be load bearing walls,..??
Drywall ain't gonna hold up, at all, with a dirt floor....

What's the bottom line Issue yer trying to address,..??

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
I can tie my own shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Are these gonna be load bearing walls,..??
Drywall ain't gonna hold up, at all, with a dirt floor....

What's the bottom line Issue yer trying to address,..??

No load bearing walls involved. Just trying to cover up rigid foam with a fire barrier of drywall. I know the dirt floor is no good, hence my reason for asking.

dennis
Old 02-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Did you ask your local B.D. if required to cover the foam board? http://www2.iccsafe.org/cs/committee...E_06_64_07.pdf

Did you follow the other requirements by them, if any? http://www2.iccsafe.org/cs/committee...E_06_64_07.pdf

Gary
Old 02-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
I can tie my own shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Did you ask your local B.D. if required to cover the foam board? http://www2.iccsafe.org/cs/committee...E_06_64_07.pdf

Did you follow the other requirements by them, if any? http://www2.iccsafe.org/cs/committee...E_06_64_07.pdf

Gary

I talked with the local code guy. He said all XPS has to be covered.

In my crawlspace is hvac ductwork/electrical/plumbing. It is an unvented crawlspace. Rim joist has been tiger foamed. HVAC/water heater also exhaust here through rigid pipe.

Code guy was trying to convince me to use an insulation blanket (aka insulation diaper). It is a fiberglass based insulation. It is not the best for crawlspace apps since it may allow for warm moist air to go through the fiberglass, condense on a cold wall, and create mold eventually. Blanket is described here:

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...chterm=BSD-103

See photograph 3.

Currently, crawlspace is accessible via a hole knocked in foundation wall from previous owners. I plan on putting a door up after my retrofits. I plan on using crawlspace for storage.

dennis
The Following User Says Thank You to algored2deth For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

This is an issue with spray foam as well and I know you can get a sprayed concrete coating through some spray foam contractors. Have you talked to any of them? Seems the expense would be worth not having to crawl around in the crawlspace framing walls and putting in drywall which would also have to have a level 1 finish here.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
Experienced

Why can't you use an "L" bracket mounted on the foundation wall to a pressure treated base plate.

Mark
Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
I can tie my own shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Why can't you use an "L" bracket mounted on the foundation wall to a pressure treated base plate.

Mark

I actually have three separate ideas, including yours. One was pouring concrete "footings", the second was your idea as in using L brackets, and the third is doing furring strips on the outside of the XPS. The only downside with the L brackets is that i will have to use quite a few (and big ones too) along the bottom because they will have to hold a couple 4x8 sheets of 2" XPS and drywall. Sq ft is 15'x18'. Not sure exactly how much a 4x8 sheet of mold resistant 1/2" drywall weighs but probably is about 50lbs or so. Probably looking at what, 120-130 lbs total. The foam is pretty light.

I will look into what spray foam guys use to cover areas where they can't drywall.

If there was ever a time for a good invention, how about something that covers foam w/o all the fuss that drywall requires. Yes, there is intumescent paint but that does not seem to get as wide of a pass as does drywall. The material could be an adhesive like rubber tire patches but is a fire rated cover. That would make life so much easier.

Last edited by algored2deth; 02-27-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by algored2deth View Post
If there was ever a time for a good invention, how about something that covers foam w/o all the fuss that drywall requires. Yes, there is intumescent paint but that does not seem to get as wide of a pass as does drywall. The material could be an adhesive like rubber tire patches but is a fire rated cover. That would make life so much easier.
That being said, there is a material, commonly used as "Fire Blanket" I believe by fiberfrax http://thermalproductsco.thomasnet.c...rfrax-blankets that just may fit that bill, but I am sure it would be cost prohibitive.

Mark
Old 02-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #10
I can tie my own shoes

The other option I have is rigid foam called thermax. It is fire rated. The only problem is that I cannot get just the 8-9 sheets I need. There was a minimum order of 22. They weren't cheap either. Oh well, back to the dwg booard.