Building Stairs Off Of A Deck - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building stairs off of a deck

I am in the middle of building a deck, just about to put up the framing. The plan I made and am following has stairs attached to a end joist (not the rim joist) and This end joist is connected to the ledger and then cantilevered over the beam by ~10 inches. The width of the stairs will start at the end of the joist (the part that is cantileverd by 10 inches) and go back towads the house for 48 inches. I was going to use strong ties to connect the stringer to the end joist.

Looking at these two pictures:
http://www.strongtie.com/graphics/pr.../198d-2013.gif

It seems that I am ok on the cantilevered end as the cantilever only goes out 10 inches, and the other end is always within 48 inches of the post supporting the beam.

I have two questions, am I missing any other codes that I should be watching out for? Second, I wanted the stairs to be flush with the end of the deck, but strong tie says I need the hanger 3.5 inches in from the end of the joist. How can I fill the rest of that 3.5 inches. I have a guard post at the top of the stairs on that side and I want it to align with the one at the bottom of the stairs on that side.

Advertisement

Last edited by SailBlue5; 09-12-2013 at 03:56 PM.
SailBlue5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

please post a pic. your building terminology about what is what may be switched around in your details.

here is the awc deck building guide if you do not already know of it...
http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Advertisement

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

A picture of your real deck you have built would also be a big help.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 236

I allways attach my stringers by putting a 2x on the rim joist of your existing deck than make a notch in the stringer and let it set on that cleat.And if you do it the way your picture showes with the strong tie i would just hold it flush to the end of the deck i dont really see no need to hold it in 3-1/2".
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottktmrider View Post
I allways attach my stringers by putting a 2x on the rim joist of your existing deck than make a notch in the stringer and let it set on that cleat.And if you do it the way your picture showes with the strong tie i would just hold it flush to the end of the deck i dont really see no need to hold it in 3-1/2".

a bunch of times the top of the stringer lands down low on the rim/band creating the first step instead of the first step of the stringer extending out level from the plane of the decking so the stringer needs reinforcement below the rim/band.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
a bunch of times the top of the stringer lands down low on the rim/band creating the first step instead of the first step of the stringer extending out level from the plane of the decking so the stringer needs reinforcement below the rim/band.
Your right,i forgot to add that.I usually put a 2x6 bellow the rim joist and put the 2x4 and notche the stringer like i talked about or you could use joist hangers or i have seen some use metal straps too.

Advertisement

scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote