Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Building stairs from main deck to upper deck

I have a 10x22 deck in which I need to add a small 6x12 upper level which will be a platform leading to the above ground pool. I am going to install fiberon decking to both decks. My question is should I build the smaller 6x12 deck and attach the stairs to the main deck before I install the new decking on the main deck? I am going to install the posts for the stairs prior to decking but was going to wait until the main deck was completed before starting the smaller deck. This way the stringers would rest on top of the deck.

Thanks for the help.

maj0819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #2

Not sure I understand the question. You want to frame the steps before there is anything there??? You build both decks, then add the step framing as needed.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #3

Sorry Bill for the confusion. I have built step from a deck to the ground just never from one deck to another. Let me try to clarify. The 10x22 deck is framed. The 6x10 is not. I was going to install the new composite decking on the 10x22 deck before I built the other small deck.

I guess my real question is how do the stringers/stairs attach to the main deck from the upper deck. Should the stringers sit on top of the joist or new decking? I know how to attach it to the upper deck.

Hope this helps.
maj0819 is offline   Reply With Quote