Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Building soffits around ducts/support

So I built some walls in my basement (Re: How tight is too tight for a new basement wall?) and I was going to just do the walls, drywall them, paint them, and worry about the ceiling next winter. Well I got to thinking where the soffits meet the walls would have to be redone so I figured I'd build the soffits now and drywall them at least where they meet the walls.

Mainly want someone to take a look before I get too much done. My local lumber yard and even home depot had crap for 2x2's and 2x3's which is what I wanted to use to same some space. I ended up just buying 2x4's that were straight. Since the "open" parts will be drop ceiling I put the top 2x4 flat against the joists, did 2x4's flat against the outside, then 2x4 flat on the bottom with the lip facing in. Bracing between each side of the soffit is 2x2's. I left about a 1/4 - 1/2" gap between the beams/ducts throughout.

How does the look so far? The first picture is one the "north" side of the beam/joist (it juts out a little at the end to get around a drain pipe). The second picture is of the "south" side (opposite of first picture). Also where it goes around the duct in the second picture should I try to "step" it in under the duct then back down at the beam? I started just doing it straight down to the beam level but it looks a little bulky. I'm also worried about stepping it as it might make it more noticeable...that and I'm worried it won't be as sturdy.

Any comments/suggestions welcomed. I have a bigger more complicated soffit to do next so I want to learn from this one. The other has a duct then beam, 14 - 16" gap, then another duct. The gap has a lot of plumbing/wiring so I'm trying to figure out a way to build two soffits next to each other and then have a little drop ceiling in between. Maybe I'll post pictures of that too.

-Allan
Attached Thumbnails
Building soffits around ducts/support-imag0004.jpg   Building soffits around ducts/support-imag0007.jpg  

vseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Building soffits around ducts/support

Well although I saved a couple inches and maybe a tiny bit of wood this is definitely not the best way to go. Reason being is when everything is secured the sides have a tendency to bow in. Now I was able to get around that by placing the pieces that go across the bottom a little big whcih pushed the bottoms "out" and evened them up but still the best way to do soffits is a standard ladder like you would do a wall. Wish someone would have commented before I did 60% of them like this.

vseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
framing soffit duct beam