Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building soffits

We recently replaced our roof on the house, new rafters and all due to breakage from prior badly designed roof. When my husband put them up he cut the birdsmouth installed them all I think 24 of them 2"x8's. Then cut the ends off and put on the board to run the new roofing to. The problem we ran into is he didn't cut into the rafters for the soffits so now he is trying to figure out how to cut the areas that extend past the drip edge board ? whatever it's called so that he can install his soffits and fascia. His Sawsal won't fit between the new rafters as they are 16 oc. A hand saw will kill him and it's not a very nice finished product to nail to. Can anyone tell us how to fix his ......mess? Thank You!

nddenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Building soffits

So if I understand this right, the rafter tails extend past the lower roof edge? Are the roofing shingles installed yet? If not, you could remove the lower coarse of plywood which could allow you to use a skillsaw to cut the tails at the correct length and angle.

MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

Building soffits

can you post a picture to show the part to be cut. it sounds like the ends of the rafters, if there are obstacles like the sheathing in the way a long sawzall blade on the sawzall will do it. first make marks on the underside of the rafter tail at the ends of the structure and pop a chalk line to mark the rest of the rafters on the underside. use the chalk line to plumb up off of at every rafter ( I use a torpedo level) and make identifying lines around the three exposed sides on the rafter, two sides and bottom and follow the lines exactly with the sawz all blade as you cut- that is the trickiest part. having a stable platform or base to work from is the toughest part on cutting rafter tails, hanging off of an extension ladder may not cut it, pun intended.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Building soffits

Let him do it with a handsaw. I'll bet he will NEVER forget to take the final length into consideration after doing that to just one roof!
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,352

Building soffits

I can not imagine trying to cut rafter talis with a sawall. No way to get a straight cut or have them come out even.
hand drive (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #6

Building soffits

You could build hidden gutters if you have enough rafter sticking out.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

Building soffits

usually a nine inch blade on a sawz all will cut perfectly vertical on the rafter, hold the saw with all the saw tooth touching side of rafter below rafter following well defined line with the blade at a 90 degree orientation to the rafter while cutting. this method is only recommended if you cannot get a skil saw or even a jig saw in place to make the cut. if you plumb up to follow the straight line from below the rafter it does not matter if the rafter tail is twisted, warped, or bowed and your cut will be in parallel plane with the wall and sit against the sub fascia nicely. pre mark your sub fascia or fascia on the saw bench to eliminate the need to do a lot of stuff in the air like cutting rafter tails.

Last edited by hand drive; 05-26-2013 at 02:26 PM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 256

Building soffits

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I can not imagine trying to cut rafter talis with a sawall. No way to get a straight cut or have them come out even.

huh?

practice more.
jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Building soffits

I just assumed is why we have 2x6 and 2x8 for facia
Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Building soffits

Odd.... I've always uses 1x's for fascia. Around here 2x's are only used for the sub-fascia.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,280

Building soffits

The way I read it was that the fascia is already on. Just another DIY Chatroom one post riddle at this point imo.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #12

Building soffits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T
Odd.... I've always uses 1x's for fascia. Around here 2x's are only used for the sub-fascia.
Well up here we use moosejaw's for facias and bear claws for nails. We hang beaver tongues on them at Xmas.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,476

Building soffits

The shingles are on and the rafter tails need trimming back an inch and a half or 2 1/4"?

His saws all. equipped with a good quality blade,will get most of the cut done--then use a Multi-tool to finish it up ---

Harbor Freight makes a good serviceable one for $20 --and a dandy one for $40
Handy tool to have---the blades are about $8 each and do not last long---so buy a few,

A jig saw could also be used.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
Old School

Building soffits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Force View Post
Well up here we use moosejaw's for facias and bear claws for nails. We hang beaver tongues on them at Xmas.
"Up here"? Georgia?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

Building soffits

I will post a picture tomorrow to show you just exactly what my dear sweet husband did.....so nobody else makes this mistake! He did wind up using a chisel and taking off the pieces he needed off. Not real perfect but what the hell they will be enclosed in the soffit anyway !

nddenise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nddenise For This Useful Post:
hand drive (05-27-2013), oh'mike (05-27-2013)