Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #1

Share |

Building a shower stall

I want to build a shower stall for my basement. Can one buy the shower pan, then frame out the walls and install durock and then tile it? Thanks guys.

helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Building a shower stall

Yep - Thats a relatively easy way to do it. Of course you need the drains to line up with the pan drain, etc. Pans can really vary in pricing depending on what you get. The thin plastic ones can flex which is annoying but can be made more solid with a good base. Base could be sand, foam, mortar, or others depending on your situation and base.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #3

Building a shower stall

Where can I buy these pans? Also will the pan allow you to frame right up against it so that when I install the wall it's flush aginst the pan? Any good recommendations are welcome. Do I frame first, then install pan?
helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Building a shower stall

You buy the pans at any plumbing supply store. Lowes, Home depot may also have. They come in fiberglass, plastic, cultured marble and others. There are different sizes too. Square, rectangular, triangle, corner styles, etc.

Read the instructions that come with the particular pan you select. Usually you frame right up to it. Actually you frame first, according to the direction, then install the pan between the studs.

Pay particular attention to the manufactures recommendations for weather or not to lip the tile backer over the pan, or not, to shim backer, or not, how close to bring the tile to pan, etc.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote