Building A Shed, Need Some Tips. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

Building a shed, need some tips.

I have made the base of the shed. Im ready to build the walls, but i need to make a door first. I want to make a door out of plastic veneer.

Where can i buy some plastic veneer to make a door?

Another thing is that when i build the walls, i was thinking of putting vinyl siding, but is a little pricey. I was thinking, can i use plastic veneer to put on the walls of the shed?

My biggest problem i have right now is trying to make the door water tight.

If i put vinyl siding on the shed, is their a vinyl bracket that will go around the door frame to prevent the water going through the door frame?

If i can get away with using plastic venner, what kind of water tight door gasket can i get to put around the door?

Advertisement

humberguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

Now I know anything I am going to say is just going to upset you but facts are facts.
By the questions your asking there no way you should be building this shed.
All the questions your asking should have been figured out long before the first nail was sunk.
There is no plastic panels that are worth a darn for building a shed.
The shed is built before the doors are hung.

You need to go out and buy a book on shed building. Lowes and Home Depot both have them.
You need to do far more research before doing anything more.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,048

Are you familiar with house construction (studs, joists, rafters, sills, etc.)?

Or you may get some good ideas on how to build the walls and roof by inspecting premade sheds that stores like Home Depot often have on display outside.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Now I know anything I am going to say is just going to upset you but facts are facts.
By the questions your asking there no way you should be building this shed.
All the questions your asking should have been figured out long before the first nail was sunk.
There is no plastic panels that are worth a darn for building a shed.
The shed is built before the doors are hung.

You need to go out and buy a book on shed building. Lowes and Home Depot both have them.
You need to do far more research before doing anything more.
I was going to say something similar to this.. But yeah basically he needs to get with the program on a book or something so he doesn't mess anything else up.
diyjohn1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Just cheat and buy a kit like I did.
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

In addition to other points listed above (directly revolving around structural stability related to weight loads), you need to think about what a bad storm (with significant/strong winds) will do to light weight structure comprised of mostly plastic poly and vinyl = its going to fly like a kite.
Even if you do some heavy ground-anchoring, a powerful storm is still going to shred it like a napkin.

Good suggestions above about starting with some printed information & designs based on a solid, sound, properly framed shed, modifed slightly to suite your use-purpose.

You could even consider a ready-built unit, delivered to a prepared site location (on your property) and then do your minor modifications......

Advertisement