Building A Shed...am I Not Thinking Of Something? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a shed...am I not thinking of something?

Ive decided I want an inexpensive place to store mower, garden tools etc... I came up with the idea of a simple dirt floor shed with a pole design, 10x16. After reviewing product costs I came up with the idea to sink 5 (4 corners and one midway to frame the door) 6x6's that have been notched to receive 2x6 tongue & groove lumber running horizontally. It seems cheaper than sinking poles every 4' and using t11 plywood for siding. My sketch looks pretty nice and I cant think of a reason it wouldn't work, but I cant find anyone online that has done anything like it. So either I'm a genius, an idiot, or its just an average idea that normal people dismiss.

A 12' run of the 2x6 t&G concerns me some because of warping over time, but I figure if I nail a few 2x4's vertically on the inside of the shed it should hold them together. I would love some input from people that know what they are taking about cause I dont.

Advertisement

Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Dirt floor not a good idea, unless you live in a desert. All wood in contatct with dirt MUST be pressure treated, or it will quickly rot out. Some type of foundation is needed, even for a small shed, or ir will settle/rack over time.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,860

I have built several pole barns but I used phone poles instead of pressure treated lumber. If you are bent on a dirt floor you might want to build it up on the inside and pack it so water can't get in and even then, like Bill said, you might want a footing and maybe a row of blocks or two or any siding close to the ground will rot pretty quick.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 626

I would use build a floor even putting it on a pier blocks with a Marine grade plywood would be better then dirt. Other wise your throwing effort after foolishness.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #5

The spot I have in mind is a little rise, so a soaking puddle of a floor isnt a concern. The T&G would all be pressure treated and stained. Really just looking for a cover for my mower and a place to put some basic garden tools. The construction is what I have a concern about. Im thinking it will take less than a weekend by myself since once the posts are placed and cured the sides will take less than an hour and Ill take the rest of the weekend making some prefab trusses and putting on shingles. I priced out materials at $850 for the whole thing at 10x16, plus the cost of a sliding door and Ill buy the hardware at the the local farm and country for ~$50. Just seems like I must be missing something since thats less than the crummy kits the box stores sell. If I pull this off Ill post some pics.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #6

Thank you for the responses.

Advertisement

Tags
construction , garden shed , pole barn , shed