Building A Shed - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

building a shed

In spring i will be building a shed, my problem is that it will be over the weepers from my septic. I do not want to pour a concrete pad, and i cant really put sono tubes 4 feet down because i'm not sure how far the weepers are. Can i use those deck blocks or maybe sonos that are only 1 to 2 feet deep to build on? Will the frost shift the shed very much this way? Any thoughts or ideas?
mike

Advertisement

boddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 152

building a shed

Ya might try and find another spot,I'm not sure the local building codes or health dept would approve since the septic works on evaporation.

Advertisement

oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,296

building a shed

Ayuh,.....

The Only Thing I can think of that would be Worse than building a barn on a Leach Field,.....
Is planting Trees in a Leach Field........
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #4

building a shed

I am not sure where the weepers go exactly but i am giving a worse case. Is there a way to determine where they go from the septic tank and how deep? I know you are not to build or drive over this area, that is why i wanted the shed somewhat movable without the concrete pad.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 152

building a shed

Depending on the age of the house,the local Health District may have an as-built for your property to show the locations of your tank and fields.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
CT Builder

building a shed

check you local codes but some locations allow the structure to sit "on grade" as long as it is not attached to a permanent structure. hence attachment to a house, so no footings, or slabs would be required. you could build the shed on post bases formed from concrete to keep the floor of the shed from rotting out. they are sold at a lowes or a home depot type store.

however... uplift codes here anyway are being cracked down on so this method may be frowned upon in your area as well.

suggest PT floor framing and PT plywood as well. be certain to use galv fasteners where exposed to weather.

best of luck

-Daryl
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
so-elitecrete

Rewards Points: 150

building a shed

you're talking about the lines in a distribution field, right ?,,, never heard the term.

you might be able to build a floating slab or a p/t'd beam mounted shed - remember when our local bldg/code enforcement officer wouldn't issue a permit to rebuild an existing burned structure w/o EXPENSIVE contour survey,,, built 2 20x20 bldgs on the original slab which could be moved on the property,,, no taxes, either - temp bldgs

sooner or later your assessors or inspectors find out so enlist your bldg guy early,,, they LOVE to help solve problems if you stroke them right - inflates their ego.

Last edited by so-elitecrete; 03-11-2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: a
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #8

building a shed

Daryl, forsure i am building with p/t and it will be elevated on those post bases or shallow sonos (which is better?) Do you need the post base to sit on any depth of crushed stone or just on the earth?

so-elitecrete, i would like to have the shed movable as a temp building. How big is still manageable to move?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
so-elitecrete

Rewards Points: 150

building a shed

& a matter of wills - mine vs the town's.

we hook'd on w/a trk but all these pre-blt garages are ' moveable ' for the most part IF you can get your jeep within reach,,, p/t'd 8x8's work'd for the yard shed.
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #10
CT Builder

building a shed

boddah,

how shallow is shallow? be certain that your local code allows the post bases before constructing. As mentioned above sooner or later the town/city will discover your "structure". it sure cant hurt to either make a phone call or stop in at building officials office and see what you need for compliance. Also someone else mentioned the health dept may have an as-built for your property. Not to sure how things are run in your location but here the town/city building dept or planning and zoning usually has plot plans for each residence. You might want to try there as well to locate all important underground materials pertaining to your septic system.

Try to find time to do it right the first time...or you will have to MAKE time to do it right the second.

Let us know what you discover with building dept or planning and zoning.

-Daryl
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

building a shed

Well, my dad built a shed which can be moved around. I don't know much about it (I'm an indoor diy kind of girl) but I know he got the plans from something called houseandshed.com.

He's actually built a shed in my sisters garden too but there he had to dig up the entire place.....

Curacao
curacao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #12

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

building a shed

boodah -

Tell me where you live!!!

I would never buy any property with standards as loose as you say. If they are that loose on a shed, you never know what they will allow.

A mobile home is a terrible weapon in a storm. Whar you are proposing is rediculous and is definitely a very temporary structure. I hope your house is not downwind from the proposed missile.

Advertisement

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote