Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #1

Share |

building a screened in area on deck - deck heaves in winter

last winter the new deck(24w x 12d) i put on the front of my camp heaved. it was attatched to the camp and lifted it off the block foundation - not good!
my next step is to make it a 'floating' deck but i want to build a screened in room on it. the problem is i wanted to use the camp as the back wall. obviously not possible now. the only option i can come up with is to build a back wall with a sliding screen door in front of the patio doors to the camp - wife doesn't like this idea - doesn't want two screen doors together. here in lies the challenge - try to come up with a solution that works and pleases her!

burnt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #2

building a screened in area on deck - deck heaves in winter

Brace the deck, excavate under each post and put in a concrete footing that extends below the frost line in your area. Do each post one at a time so your deck stays stable.

You've got all summer to do it and next winter you will be glad you did.

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote