Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #1

Share |

Building roof soffits?

Got an older house and would like to cover the exposed eaves and rakes with soffits to help with cleanup in the future, i.e. cobwebs and keep birds from pecking holes. I was wondering what material to use and what nail size/nailer? Could someone help me a bit with a little guidence? Thanks.

jfharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Mod

Building roof soffits?

Your options are couple styles of wood, vinyl, aluminum or fiber cement.

Vinyl and aluminum you don’t have to paint but don’t always look right on some homes.

How there installed varies some depending what type of siding and fascia set up you have now.

Posting a couple of pictures of your house would help to be able to tell you what exactly needs to be done for your particular situation.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 11-26-2012 at 04:30 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Building roof soffits?

typical soffit material is 3/8 BC or AC plywood but there are many different materials as well even tongue and groove soffit. You can either have a leveled soffit that requires added framing or follow the rafter roof pitch and attach underneath the rafters with the soffit material.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #4

Building roof soffits?

Good time to add soffit venting usually not found on older, exposed eaves, Use continuous angled louvers, screened, right next to the fascia board for optimum air-flow. The block venting notches/holes should leave most of it intact for structural strength.

Gary