Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #1

Share |

building a roof over my porch..

hi, i am interested in building a roof over my porch and would like to know what would be a good price for me to pay? my porch is 34x11 (374sq ft)
hopefully someone can help.. i live in the Detroit area if it makes a difference.. thanks

Dame130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #2

sorry but it impossible to give a price over the internet. There are to many variables.
Kinda like asking "what does a car cost" could be $100 for a beater or $500,000 for a collectors car.

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
DIY-er

The best way to calculate it is to figure out how much it would cost in materials, then multiply it by 2.5 to get the contractor's price. This will give you a general idea.

You should make a list of all materials (footings, posts, post hangers, joists, etc.), go to the hardware store or look online for the unit price, put the info into a spreadsheet and calculate the cost. This is a good exercise to do, because it will help you to decide if you are going to use PT lumber, cedar, composite, etc., what type of roofing material you will use, etc, and really help you "nail" down the details of the design.

I've got a good discussion of how to calculate the cost of any type of home construction on my webpage ..... I also have a spreadsheet you can download for a small fee.

Kevin
www.home-additions-startup-guide.com
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #4

Kevin by your thinking then installation of a $1000.00 door would be $1500.00 and on a $200.00 door it would be $300.00?
That formula really does not work.

What if there is trees that need removed, or not? the type of foundation needed or not? The type of materials needed or not?
There are too many variables and choices to make even a rough guess like that work.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
DIY-er

Not quite mae-ling. Installation of a $1000.00 door would be $2,500 - multiply by 2.5. If you get quotes from people who install doors, chances are you won't get a door installed for under $2500 (assuming the door is worth at least $1000). This general formula works for almost anything, but you have to be aware of the average price. For instance, if the only difference between a $1,000 door and a $2,000 door is the type of material and the installation technique is the same, then use the lower cost and multiply by 2.5. This gives a ball-park figure so that you know if the quotes you are getting are realistic. I've used this on major and minor construction projects and it is a good general indicator.

You are right that you have to consider everything in your cost calculation - earthwork, rubbish removal, tree removal, permit fees, etc. To install a toilet, you have to consider the plumbing permit, piping, flange, caulking as well as the toilet. Everything adds up. When you do the spreadsheet, you should put in all of these items to give you the cost estimate. You also need to know what type of material you are using for each component in the reno project.
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote