Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #1

Share |

Building ramp for hugh shed

I Need a ramp on my shed to get things like my push mower in and out of my shed. My shed is built on very unlevel ground which is going to be a challenge I have to overcome. One side of the double doors is about 20" off the ground while the other side is 26" off the ground. I want a solid ramp am the heaviest thing going in and out of it will probably be my push mower. My plan right now is to set a few rows of 4x4s set in concrete with the tops cut at a 20 degree angle. I will go 3 across and however many down until I get the the ground spaced maybe 2' apart. Then I am not sure from there.

nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Cruising into the sunset

You could build up the drop off with road stone and compact it as you go. You can drive a car on compacted road stone and if it settles, just add more.

But with just a push mower as your heaviest tool, you could build a wooden ramp with 2x4s and 3/4" PT plywood. You wouldn't need the concrete.

JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #3

Someone gave me the idea to build a platform and then have the ramp go down the side since the one side is so much close to the ground meaning the ramp would be much shorter. Plan is to bring it out about 6' and of course go all the way across both doors. Will 9 4x4 posts (3 front, 3 middle, 3 back) spaced 2' apart be enough? Then just lay the decking across and screw them down? I guess putting 2x6s crosswise flush to the top of the 4x4s would be a good idea.

Last edited by nikeman; 07-02-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Cruising into the sunset

Typical building construction calls for floor joists to be a minimum 16" on center. I realize your ramp probably won't even require a permit and the loads are fairly light, but it's a small project. I'd go with 16" centers.
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
Someone gave me the idea to build a platform and then have the ramp go down the side since the one side is so much close to the ground meaning the ramp would be much shorter. Plan is to bring it out about 6' and of course go all the way across both doors. Will 9 4x4 posts (3 front, 3 middle, 3 back) spaced 2' apart be enough? Then just lay the decking across and screw them down? I guess putting 2x6s crosswise flush to the top of the 4x4s would be a good idea.
Ayuh,... Sounds like yer Waayyy Over thinkin' this....

A couple wheelbarrows of stone, 'n it's Done...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo

Ayuh,... Sounds like yer Waayyy Over thinkin' this....

A couple wheelbarrows of stone, 'n it's Done...
I would need a lot more than a couple wheelbarrows and I just don't want all the gravel back there getting washed away and getting scattered all over the yard by my dog. I want something that looks decent also.