DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

building raised subfloor for shower

14K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  chulett 
#1 ·
This is a new home construction. I am preparing to build the shower for the upstairs bathroom.

I need any tile guy, plumber, carpenter to help out!

size of room is 58 5/8" wide by 150". The shower will go on the north side of the room..thinking a 42"x 58" tile shower will go good. I am attaching photos of the room and some "investigations" I have done.

Problem 1: very little access below subfloor ( there is hollow subfloor on top of the timberframe which I did access..only 6 inches deep) Will have to construct raised subfloor to hide the p trap. The main drain pipe is in closet of adjacent room (see photos)

Problem 2: I cannot center drain as the hvac ducting runs right under the center of the room. So I will offset drain to the left.

Problem 3: As you can see in the photos, the drywall is already up! I still need to install (rough in) shower plumbing! Do I rip out dry wall, rough in plumbing for shower then recover with durock?

I need advice on how high I should build raised subfloor..the drain pipe off the p trap will be 1 inch above the floor so I have to raise it at least 5 1/2" to clear pipe and most likely 6 or 7 inches so plywood can equal drain. when I build the shower curb total height to step over is over 11 inches!

As always any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Well I see you have gotten started, good for you!

Lose the drywall, you are going to cover the 2x's with durock or similar product.

I would be looking at setting the trap straight out to the left or right of the photo if you can, this will leave it somewhat accessible should you ever need to, I know you did all that work to get it as low as you can.

Really doesn't need to be in the center, but keep that in mind when you do your pre-slope, of course you will have your drain there as a guide for the low point.

#6 ·
Yeah, but this nice weather gonna sidetrack me a bit! 15 inches of drifting snow is FUN!

On the drain, Im thinking of just bringing it straight out to about 20 or so inches under center of drain..The pics just showed what I was messing around with! I really like the quickpitch idea! Looks VERY straightforward

Im still concerned with the head room height! Im puzzling on that one...maybe raise the ceiling????

any ideas out there? Has anyone raised the ceiling in a bathroom on the 2nd story? Got big attic space, but am concerned about cutting into the 2x6s above the drywall....

#7 ·
Yes you can raise the ceiling pretty easily. You would frame out the opening just like a dormer window (if you know how to do that) Basically you build a beam on both sides of the opening. Support the 2x6's with a 2x4 nailed into the side of the 2x6 that is staying and into the roof rafter. Then cut open your hole in the ceiling and the 2x6's out. Then toss in your beam, nail it to the 2x6's on the sides that are staying. then build your new ceiling to your new height. Drywall it in and call it a day.:)

#10 ·
thats a good idea! In the master bath on first floor the tub will be filled from the ceiling! Putting in kohler sok overflow tub with laminar flow filler mounted in ceiling

I like the idea of the shower in the ceiling..I am very comfortable with raising the shower ceiling 1 or 2 feet and building a tray type ceiling..I just need to do research on it..I can do it, just need to get some ideas of how

attic is covered with blown in insulation, so Im not sure how many joists I would have to cut out..I need ideas how to brace em to ensure the integrity of the roof..I like the idea of window dormer, but never have built one

any thoughts?

#12 ·
proremodel, that would be awesome!

I did some exploring in the attic today

The house is a timberframe hybrid..mostly timberframe but there is traditional stickframe also..

The east side of the roof rafters are doug fir beams (timberframe)

The west side of roof is built from stick frame Yes there is a wall in the middle that extends to the peak..

ok so the bathroom ceiling has the joists running from that wall to the west rafters..the construction crew also placed reinforcing 2x4s that are nailed at a 90 degree angle (forms a T). They placed these halfway between the wall and the edge of roof..my guess is for reinforcement!

I only need a 60 x 42 inch hole..so i just need to remove 2 joists..

ok thats more information!

Give me some drawings! Im a visual learner!:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.