Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a Portable Office Shack

hi there,

I am a student in Occupational Health and Safety. I have a group project to do, which includes building a EMS portable office shack on a construction site, estimating the cost, and the material needed.

The dimensions are 12 ft x 46 ft. Which would equal 552 cubic feet. I want to know how much sand and gravel I would need for the foundation of the shack I am about to build. I will also need hardwood for the foundation to raise it above ground. I also was hoping for an estimation in regards to price.

I apologize as I do not have much experience with this, but if anyone can help me out, or even direct me to a website where I can find these answers I would be eternally greatful. Thank you!

jets4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets4life View Post
hi there,

I am a student in Occupational Health and Safety. I have a group project to do, which includes building a EMS portable office shack on a construction site, estimating the cost, and the material needed.

The dimensions are 12 ft x 46 ft. Which would equal 552 cubic feet. I want to know how much sand and gravel I would need for the foundation of the shack I am about to build. I will also need hardwood for the foundation to raise it above ground. I also was hoping for an estimation in regards to price.

I apologize as I do not have much experience with this, but if anyone can help me out, or even direct me to a website where I can find these answers I would be eternally greatful. Thank you!
You sit down with a pencil and paper and start with a design. Then you decide what material you will be using. Then you decide how many of each item you need. Then you go to the place that sells these things and and find out the price of each item. You multiply that by the number you need.
And that's the cost.
Do a search of framing or get a book that shows standard framing practices.
You tube will have videos on all aspects. Start with "building a shed" and add to that any other component you need.
Your location will determine specific code requirements.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 254

12x 46 = 552 Cubic Feet? Not much headroom, must be dragging the injured in the short front door. Put a sign on the door, "drag head first" otherwise, various body parts will flop sideways and make it hard to pull them inside.

12 x 48, spec a temporary office on wheels. Job shacks get moved around on a job site.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Carpenter

Rewards Points: 75

Can your project start with a rental? Most portable buildings are. Here is a link to what comes to my mind from your post.

http://www.satelliteco.com/space/Mobile-Office.php

I don't get what you are trying to do because you are asking for foundation specs for a portable device that doesn't really require it if it is portable. Those dimensions are the size of a single wide mobile home.
Maybe not enough information???

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)
dtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I was asked to find out how much sand, gravel, and possibly wood/concrete to perch the structure on, so that it was not slanted or on an uneven surface. Unfortunately, the 12x48 foot base is what i was given to work with. Would it be possible to just drop the portable shack without any kind of gravel or sand underneath to support it?

I may have to phone around in the morning to get some quotes...
jets4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
Carpenter

Rewards Points: 75

I realize it is just a question for a school paper or something, but something still doesn't sound right.
A structure that size would require footers, which local code will dictate the depth of those. The trailers pictured are leveled with 8-10 adjustable jackstands which usually just set on a solid concrete block.
Setting the whole trailer down on a bed of sand and gravel it would sink an lean. This would require an engineering point of view, because the type of sand, the size of gravel, and the amount of tamping to create a solid base so it will not sink into is an odd question.
Also 12 x 46 is 552 square feet, not cubic feet.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)
dtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,128

The important word in the OP's question is "portable". This infers moving it out and not leaving anything costly behind.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets4life View Post
I was asked to find out how much sand, gravel, and possibly wood/concrete to perch the structure on, so that it was not slanted or on an uneven surface. Unfortunately, the 12x48 foot base is what i was given to work with. Would it be possible to just drop the portable shack without any kind of gravel or sand underneath to support it?

I may have to phone around in the morning to get some quotes...
Ayuh,... That question is completely Unanswerable, without knowing the existing grade of the location, before ya start....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote