Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2008, 11:20 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Building a Pole Garage myself, got a few ?'s

So im going to build a Pole garage with dimensions 38' wide by 22' deep and an undetermined height. I dont need it to be supre tall. Ive got alot of it figured out so far i think. One thing im kind of held up on is the premit. I know that all city are different, but what is the general procedure following getting a permit to build. Do they have to come out to my property an d inspect or cani just file a permit with the city and be o nmy way? I plan to have a gravel floor in my pole garage. And really the garage i want to build is pretty simple. No windows, or electricity or plumbing. Just the building and doors. My Brother and me will be building it. Also, ive decided on a metal roof and sides with insulation. Really, being cost effective is important o nthis project, being money is somewhat stretched. Another reason my Brother and I are building it. Save money and theres no strict deadline. Looking for ward to any help you guys can give me. Thanks

jk333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:01 AM   #2

Are you in city limits or within its juridiction??

Think twice about putting some juice out there,,,how do you plug in a car or truck in real cold weather?? Blow up a tire with an air copressor? or plug in a radio so you can change oil,,,or fix something while puttering on your bench??Even have a small grinding wheel and run your power tools??

gravel will get real old when more is in your shoes than on the floor. I always heard compacted lime works pretty well. maybe a thin layer of gravel over that. can you get any oil mat grindings from where they level streets?? That is cheap and versital. maybe your city requires hard surface so there streets dont get dirty,,,most do. Acess off paved streets??Graveled ally???

My next feeling is 22 foot deep isnt going to be enough,,,where to park mowers,bikes? tools? When you think it is way too long,,,add 4 more feet. Cheap now compared to rest of building square feet.
30 or even 36 would be about right.

ONLY way to find out what the city allows is to ask them,,,constructing from scratch WITHOUT a permit risks them making you take the whole thing back down.

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
Are you in city limits or within its juridiction??

Think twice about putting some juice out there,,,how do you plug in a car or truck in real cold weather?? Blow up a tire with an air copressor? or plug in a radio so you can change oil,,,or fix something while puttering on your bench??Even have a small grinding wheel and run your power tools??

gravel will get real old when more is in your shoes than on the floor. I always heard compacted lime works pretty well. maybe a thin layer of gravel over that. can you get any oil mat grindings from where they level streets?? That is cheap and versital. maybe your city requires hard surface so there streets dont get dirty,,,most do. Acess off paved streets??Graveled ally???

My next feeling is 22 foot deep isnt going to be enough,,,where to park mowers,bikes? tools? When you think it is way too long,,,add 4 more feet. Cheap now compared to rest of building square feet.
30 or even 36 would be about right.

ONLY way to find out what the city allows is to ask them,,,constructing from scratch WITHOUT a permit risks them making you take the whole thing back down.

Thanks for the reply, i definatly dont wanna tear the whole thing down because of no permit. The area i have set aside for the garage is in my back yard technically. But i do want to save up for a slab or compacted lime like you said.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #4

What do you guys think about doing a slant roof on my pole garage? like this
Old 10-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk333 View Post
What do you guys think about doing a slant roof on my pole garage? like this
Shed roofs have their advantages.

You can drain all the water to one side and use a water collection system to water plants and yards.

It also makes a nice place to put solar hot water panels and solar electric if it is oriented to the south and has unobstructed sunlight.

The down side is that it had a shed look hence the name shed roof.

It also requires larger rafters since there is no ridge to redirect the weight to the walls. All the weight of a shed roof comes straight down. There is no mechanical advantage and it just takes beef to keep the roof up.

When you build your barn consider snow load if you are in snow country.

Tags
garage, permit, pole