Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #1

Share |

Building platform for indoor putting green

Hi all, new to the boards and I'm excited to browse around the site...

I'm building a putting green in my basement that I want to put up on a platform, sized 10' x 18'. My plan is to frame the platform with 2x4s and top it with 1/2 inch particle board.

But, I have a couple questions. One, is the particle board strong enough to handle people walking and putting their weight on it? Being indoors, it would never get wet. And second, if so, how far apart should I space the 2x4's for support? I would suppose there could be guys that weigh as much as 250, 300 pounds on the "green."

My thought was spacing the supports 18" apart, but I didn't know if I could get away with wider spacing, or need to go closer together with the particle board, or if plywood would be more supportive and allow for less cross braces.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I probably should have mentioned, the platform will sit directly on the concrete floor.

Last edited by jwolf02; 11-23-2010 at 07:49 PM.
jwolf02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Building platform for indoor putting green

Quote:
My thought was spacing the supports 18" apart, but I didn't know if I could get away with wider spacing, or need to go closer together with the particle board, or if plywood would be more supportive and allow for less cross braces.
Ayuh,... Work in divisibles of 16",.. just like buildin' a house... panels match the seams that way...

I think your plan will work just Fine...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote