Building Permit And Approval For Partial Completion - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 180

Building Permit and approval for Partial Completion

Hi All,

I am trying to finish my basement, but I don't have the fund to complete everything at one time. My plan is to finish it in phases. (e.g. phase 1 - framing, electrical, and plumbing, phase 2 - drywall and fixtures, etc.)

Is it possible to apply building permit for phase 1 and get the framing, electrical, and plumbing approved without actually totally complete the basement?

Of course I will have to reapply the permit again when I am ready with phase 2.

Thanks!

Advertisement

325_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 628

As you frame the question, no. To final a plumbing or electrical permit requires the fixtures to be placed. This is generally precluded without drywall.

Most permits are for 18 months, and you can renew them for a number of times. That course would probably be better

Advertisement

Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

It really depends on your area. In mine it would only be if I plan on covering all of the pipes, walls, electrical. That you only need a permit for.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
As you frame the question, no. To final a plumbing or electrical permit requires the fixtures to be placed. This is generally precluded without drywall.

Most permits are for 18 months, and you can renew them for a number of times. That course would probably be better
Thanks for the input Anti-wingnut!

For electrical, I plan to put temporary light fixtures (not decorative ones), electrical outlet, etc.

For plumbing, I will put the pipes to the correct location and cap them without fixtures.

No drywall - that is probably phase 2.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It really depends on your area. In mine it would only be if I plan on covering all of the pipes, walls, electrical. That you only need a permit for.
I am moving plumbing rough-in pipe for the basement bathroom. So, I know I need permit there.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 260

It depends on where you live. It also depends on whether you are doing asll the work yourself or bringing someone else into the picture. The permit is to ensure you or a contractor know what to do ... by code. There is more to plumbing than just running the lines. (proper slope, traps, venting, etc.) Same with electrical. Proper type of wire, number of outlets per run, breaker size, etc. all have to be considered. In my area, the permit is the first thing to get and an extension can be added, if need be. Do it right the first time or it may cause extra cost and headaches.
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #7

Thanks for the comment, Mark Harvey!

I live in Prince William County, VA. I am doing it myself and I do know what I am doing.

Can you please clarify what you say below, specifically an "extension"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harvey View Post
the permit is the first thing to get and an extension can be added, if need be.
It is my understanding that a building permit is a 'must' to work on the house. Then, depending on what I am working on, then a permit (e.g. electrical, plumbing, or mechanical) is requested with the building permit.

The problem is that in my county, a current code that govern the bulk head height in Prince William County that states "Beams and girders spaced not less than 4’ (1219mm) on center may project not more than 6” (152mm) below the required ceiling height (i.e. 7')." is changing this coming July where even the bulk head height must be 7'. If this code takes affect, my basement will never be finish able. So, I've been talking to an inspector and his advice is to submit all permit (i.e. building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical) at the same time by July. All permits will expire in 6 months unless there is 'activity'.

So, This changes my plan. This will speed up the schedule.

Last edited by 325_man; 05-04-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 626

Most permits go like this framing inspection electical and plumbing for ok to insulate. Then insulation inspection to get OK to cover. then sheetrock inspection before any mud is ever applied, then the final inspection to make sure fiixtures work.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Most permits go like this framing inspection electical and plumbing for ok to insulate. Then insulation inspection to get OK to cover. then sheetrock inspection before any mud is ever applied, then the final inspection to make sure fiixtures work.
For the final inspection, will the room needs to be ready for live-in, or can it not 100% finish in case I run out of fund but yet still get their approval?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:56 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_man View Post
For the final inspection, will the room needs to be ready for live-in, or can it not 100% finish in case I run out of fund but yet still get their approval?
Were I live and work this is what is required passed framing inspection passed electrical and pluming isulation inspection and sheetrock hung and inspecteced a working toilet working sink a safe place to store and prep food. done. no flooring no trim no paint no mud and tape no wall covering electricle fixture working i.e. exsaust fans, lights outlets. covered and working. so check with your building dept.

Advertisement

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote