Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a pergola having issues with "bowing" in rafters.

Ok I have 8 6by6 posts set 20 inches plus in the ground full bag of concrete on each . My structure is roughly 16 ft (out from house) by 20ft (running with the house) for my banding i used 2 x 6 s on the outside and 2 x 10 s on the inside , up the center (from house out) I ran two 2 x 10s from post side to post side (ive notch weaved all my intersections on the banding) ok now to my issue.

Originally I had designed this structure to have a flat top with screen fabric but my mother in law wanted to use a different fabric that will hold water so I had to create a pitched roof on a tight budget so I saved money by getting 2 x 8 x 12s and ripping them corner to corner to make 2 rafters out of one board (they run from outside band to inside brace so about a 9 foot section inbetween bands) well within that 9 feet my rafters have started to bow down I crowned them properly but I guess there was not enough there to keep them from bowing down, also this is home depot lumber pressure treated of course.

My question is , is that I do not want to scrap my failure but somehow fix what I have so I have two plans of action one is to unscrew one side of my rafters and install 2 x 4s underneath each one force the tail end down and screw it then tie them together at the sides.

My next thought was to run two 2x10x16s either 3 feet apart underneath my rafters for support or put them together and run them across in the center.

Which do you suggest is a better move? And will the 2 x 10s bow down within about 15 feet like my rafters had ? Mind you I won't be able to notch weave them ill have to just screw the ends to just the inside band and to blocking I would install.

I have pictures but they are on my Facebook ill post a link to my photos.

chriscarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7924734&type=3

let me know if that works.

chriscarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscarney View Post
Nope. Try Photobucket or posting direct, How to attach a photo to a post
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

yeah, your link doesn't work. get a photo up and it'll be easier to figure out the best solution.

-Nate_
neight is offline   Reply With Quote