Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,014

Building out of square.

Why can't anything be square? I finally got going on my portico project and built the frame. It's up and it's solid and so far looks pretty good for what's there. The landing that it sits on is not square and not parallel to the house. The width of the landing that is against the house (92 3/4") is about 5/16" wider than the street side (92 7/16"). The left and right sides are different by about 3/4" (38" vs. 38 3/4"). I made the conscious decision to build to the dimensions of the landing so as to not look un-square. Unless you stuck a tape on it, you wouldn't be able to tell. I think if I built it square to the house, it would look un-square because of the landing. Now I'm thinking down the construction road (roof, etc). FWIW, the old portico was also built out of square and I didn't realize it until I actually put a tape measure on it. Did I make a bad choice?

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 08-07-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Building out of square.

Sounds like you did good. When you do the roof split the difference. Pictures would help also.

One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,014

Building out of square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinConst View Post
Sounds like you did good. When you do the roof split the difference. Pictures would help also.
I hope so.

I don't have much home improvement experience. When my wife and I bought this old fixer upper what I did have was confidence. I didn't know what I was getting into but I wasn't expecting, what seems like, every wall not being true. With every single nail I wonder if I made the right choice. I have a lot of respect for you pros out there that can bang out a job on an old home and make it look like it was always there. It's a lot of work.

All I have is right now is the pic of the old portico.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
Remodeler

Building out of square.

Your old home (new to you) is normal. Even in the newest homes built it would be a rarity to find a perfectly plumb wall or perfectly level floor. Homes settle in different sections at different amounts. Your doing fine. If you find something extreme, off by an inch or so then be concerned. Working on older homes is a challenge and actually more enjoyable. To me anyway.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Building out of square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinConst View Post
Your old home (new to you) is normal. Even in the newest homes built it would be a rarity to find a perfectly plumb wall or perfectly level floor. Homes settle in different sections at different amounts. Your doing fine. If you find something extreme, off by an inch or so then be concerned. Working on older homes is a challenge and actually more enjoyable. To me anyway.
Yep, Like Mincost wrote.

Welcome to the world of working on an older home: Nothing is necessarily square, level, plumb or even. It can seperate the ''handyman'' from the "craftsman"...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #6

Building out of square.

You mean someone on this planet can actually build square

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote