Building A New Home - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a new home

I知 currently having a new home built and it is still in the early stages of framing. I知 currently planning out locations and runs for central vac, coax and cat and alarm system. I want to get some opinions of anything else I should think about running in the house now while everything is accessible. I知 not interested in anything extravagant, mainly just anything you wish you could have run if you had the opportunity. Nothing to expensive either as I am not a rich man, Lol I have a wife and a one year old daughter so I feel I will be a poor man for many years to come. Your thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks

Advertisement

sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,690

Building a new home

HVAC and plumbing should not be a problem at this point being those two major items locations and installation should have already been determined before construction begin. Enjoy your new house and family.

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,824

Building a new home

One thing I did on the houses I built was put extra blocking on each side of the windows for drapes to be mounted to. It is frustrating to try mount drapes or curtains to sheet rock with nothing behind it.

Extra blocking in the kitchen for hanging kitchen cabinets. Beef up where ceiling fans may hang, it is an easy fix right now.

Make sure all outside doors have a pan under each to keep water out completely.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 338

Building a new home

Speaker wiring if desired.
Run a vac line next to your garage door for your cars ..basement also, you can always
get the power unit later.
Always thought a salt chute would be great from the garage to the basement (water softener)...never seen one though.
High Gear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,498

Building a new home

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
One thing I did on the houses I built was put extra blocking on each side of the windows for drapes to be mounted to. It is frustrating to try mount drapes or curtains to sheet rock with nothing behind it.

Extra blocking in the kitchen for hanging kitchen cabinets. Beef up where ceiling fans may hang, it is an easy fix right now.

Make sure all outside doors have a pan under each to keep water out completely.
Adding to the extra blocking list, don't forget the bathrooms. Blocking for towel bars, TP holder, mirrors, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
BigJim (07-08-2014), jimmy21 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,496

Building a new home

If the construction company that is building the home, draws up their own plans. You do not have much lee-way on what you can add, without paying extra.

Personally for Whole House vac. Kick plate units in the Kitchen, for sweeping debris into. An outlet in the Living Room, and Hallway.

As for Coax & Cat-5e. Figure two runs of coax & Cat-5e to where any tv's will be mounted to the wall. Depending on how many floors, or how many square feet for the floor plan. You may be able to get away with one ceiling mounted Wireless Access Point, that uses a POE Injector (Power Over Ethernet). Also make sure all coax and ethernet is pulled to a central location, along with a shelf that a modem and router can be placed on.

Also figure in wired or wireless alarm system(s).
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

Building a new home

some things to consider:

1. install blocking behind/side of toilet for grab bars. can simply attach them when needed instead of opening up the wall to install. if tiled showers are being built then blocking in them for future grab bars

2. centrally located conduit from basement to each floor, including attic so that if you need to run additional cable(s) you have a way to easily do so

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 624

Building a new home

door stop blocking
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Building a new home

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
some things to consider:

1. install blocking behind/side of toilet for grab bars. can simply attach them when needed instead of opening up the wall to install. if tiled showers are being built then blocking in them for future grab bars

2. centrally located conduit from basement to each floor, including attic so that if you need to run additional cable(s) you have a way to easily do so
On the last, you should not have to run more cables, if you do it correct the first time.

I have my network trimmed down to just the three RG-6 runs for DirecTV, one for Antenna to a DirecTV AM-21N tuner, one for the incoming Comcast line for Internet. The six Cat-5e runs for networking. Which currently two of those runs are not in use at this time.

If they do it correctly, thinking of the future. They would have all runs pulled prior to drywall going up for stuff like touchpads, ceiling & wall mounted speakers, etc.

Only place to pull Smurf tube for extra runs, would be maybe where the A/V equipment will be mounted in places like the Living Room or Den. I would though still pull Smurf tube for the runs for all wall mounted equipment.

You can always use a 5 or 8 port 10/100/1000 Ethernet switch in the entertainment cabinet, if you need more then two or three connections for wired devices.

Any modern home, should be using a Hybrid LAN. That is Wireless A/P's that use POE Injectors, mounted as I stated before on the ceiling. Stuff like CO/Smoke detectors, now days use a "Mesh" network for those like the Nest Protect.

It really depends on what the OP is looking for, in incorporating into this new house, and really if technology is something that they are into.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #10

Building a new home

Hi one thing that I did when building was I had a run of co ax to my garage. It's nice being able to watch the game while working in the garage.
davesim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Building a new home

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesim View Post
Hi one thing that I did when building was I had a run of co ax to my garage. It's nice being able to watch the game while working in the garage.
Now days not a necessity with the Wireless equipment that providers are issuing. But I would run Cat-5e or Cat-6, just in case the provider in the OP area, is an IPTV provider.

DirecTV, ATT, and a few others, now use the Pace wireless boxes for streaming the closed circuit Pay to watch service from the provider. They use a Wireless A/P that is used as the hub for the system. But you still have the option of hard connection, in case the hub signal is marginal.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
davesim (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #12

Building a new home

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Now days not a necessity with the Wireless equipment that providers are issuing. But I would run Cat-5e or Cat-6, just in case the provider in the OP area, is an IPTV provider.

DirecTV, ATT, and a few others, now use the Pace wireless boxes for streaming the closed circuit Pay to watch service from the provider. They use a Wireless A/P that is used as the hub for the system. But you still have the option of hard connection, in case the hub signal is marginal.
I hear you on that. It cost me $40 one time to run the coax to the garage vs a monthly service fee for a wireless box.
davesim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 776

Building a new home

You would be smart to run conduit (probably Smurf tube) to all the places you want network connections. That way you could future proof and have the option to pull fiber if you ever needed/wanted to. Easy to do now, hard to do later.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:35 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 626

Building a new home

a whole house vac is something else too. and double ditto on everything every one else said too.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,690

Building a new home

Doors less than 2/8 x ?? in new residential bath construction should be outlawed.

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote