Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

Share |

Building movie set

Hey folks, I have a tricky problem and I need some help to figure it out. I need to get a 8ft long by 10ft high wall into a studio, finished and painted, in 30 hours. I have a van that will only fit 4x8 pieces of scenery. I am trying to solve this problem of 10ft walls with renting a different vehicle.

My question is this: can I finish the wall, cut it in half, and then bring it into the studio with only minimal finishing, let's say caulk and some paint? I also need the wall to turn a corner at 8ft and have another 4ft section going off camera.

Some questions you might have:
1)WHY??!! am I using drywall? Because they are filming with a RED Camera and we are getting closeups of water dripping down the walls and coming out of cracks

2) I am priming with oil-base paint before I cut the wall

3) I plan to use a boxcutter and a straightedge and cut the wall while it is lying on the ground

4) I plan to cut perpendicular to the joint

Any experience or ANYTHING you can add to help me figure this out, will be very helpful. For the moment, I am thinking to not use drywall at all, because I can't figure this out.

ERIN

Emagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #2

Building movie set

Built two short walls instead with both top and bottom single plates. Drill holes so the two halves can be just bolted together.
Use 1/4 sanded plywood instead of drywall to make it far lighter.
No clue why you would waste time using oil based primer, use latex instead.
Or use two coats of this and you could get away with one less coat and have it look like a finish painted wall without having to paint a finish coat at all.

If you can get away with the wall not having to be perfectly flat to save some steps you could just use white paneling.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #3

Building movie set

Thank you! Would you say plywood is better/cheaper than masonite or luan? If I need to make the look of cracks in these walls, I can then use the joint compound on top of lighter/easier material beneath? Maybe even skimcoat the whole setup and paint it? I can also maybe hide the seam in this setup with some caulk or another skimcoat of joint compound when I get to the studio?

I think I can use 1/8" material. I have the wall framed out with 1x3 furring strips.
Emagner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drywall, film, flats, movie