Building Interior Basement Wall Under Laminated Wood Beam. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


I have started the process of finishing my basement. One of my interior walls is under a support beam and I removed the 4x4 post holding it up. The beam is now held up by the wall. I used green treated 2x4 as the sole plate, glued and secured with masonry screws. I used just one 2x4 as the top plate and put fire blocks in between the studs. My question is, will this pass inspection? I've read that load bearing walls need to have a dual top plates.

Here is a picture of the wall

Advertisement

PlastikSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


did you have structural engineer spec this out? IMO you should have a footer running the full length of that wall to use it the way you have. why couldnt you just leave the post in and build it into the wall?

Advertisement

pardonme2711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonme2711 View Post
did you have structural engineer spec this out? IMO you should have a footer running the full length of that wall to use it the way you have. why couldnt you just leave the post in and build it into the wall?
I had to remove the post because I had to put a door in it's place. As you can you see in the picture were the hole is in the cement in the doorway. The structural engineer was me :-) Either way when I took the post out the beam didn't sag or drop any.
PlastikSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PlastikSpork View Post
I have started the process of finishing my basement. One of my interior walls is under a support beam and I removed the 4x4 post holding it up. The beam is now held up by the wall. I used green treated 2x4 as the sole plate, glued and secured with masonry screws. I used just one 2x4 as the top plate and put fire blocks in between the studs. My question is, will this pass inspection? I've read that load bearing walls need to have a dual top plates.

Here is a picture of the wall
Now this is the worst post ever on the forum.
__________________
Joe Carola
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PlastikSpork View Post
I had to remove the post because I had to put a door in it's place. As you can you see in the picture were the hole is in the cement in the doorway. The structural engineer was me :-) Either way when I took the post out the beam didn't sag or drop any.
I was wrong...this is the worst post ever. You must be a comedian.

Your finished with what you've done. You've removed a supporting column.....put nothing in it's place....Read this slowly.....you cannot do what you have done. This is going to fail.

You think that it's funny that you remove a main supporting column from your house and put a doorway there? At least if you wanted to be a wise guy...you would have put studs underneath where the column was...that might have helped because it would be sitting on a footing underneath. Now you have nothing.

Obviuosly this forum is full of people with no common sense and do illegal DANGEROUS work on there homes and think its a joke.

Ok forum members......happy to help this guy out?? He deserves nothing!! He will come back and try to justify why what he did will work. He does it first and then asks if it's good. The guy is out of his mind. This is exactly what I'm talking about with this forum. People here will be nice and try to help him. Me...no....he deserves to be blasted for what he has done.

The only reason why I'm wasting my time is because what you've done is so dangerous and will fail. You need to put the column back or if you don't want to...you need to call in an architect or engineer to fix this prom.

I hope someone new to this forum reads this and does not EVER do what this guy has done. Worst thing ever to do in your house.

Unbelievable!!
__________________
Joe Carola

Last edited by Joe Carola; 07-27-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Carola For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
I was wrong...this is the worst post ever. You must be a comedian.

Your finished with what you've done. You've removed a supporting column.....put nothing in it's place....Read this slowly.....you cannot do what you have done. This is going to fail.

You think that it's funny that you remove a main supporting column from your house and put a doorway there? At least if you wanted to be a wise guy...you would have put studs underneath where the column was...that might have helped because it would be sitting on a footing underneath. Now you have nothing.

Obviuosly this forum is full of people with no common sense and do illegal DANGEROUS work on there homes and think its a joke.

Ok forum members......happy to help this guy out?? He deserves nothing!! He will come back and try to justify why what he did will work. He does it first and then asks if it's good. The guy is out of his mind. This is exactly what I'm talking about with this forum. People here will be nice and try to help him. Me...no....he deserves to be blasted for what he has done.

The only reason why I'm wasting my time is because what you've done is so dangerous and will fail. You need to put the column back or if you don't want to...you need to call in an architect or engineer to fix this prom.

I hope someone new to this forum reads this and does not EVER do what this guy has done. Worst thing ever to do in your house.

Unbelievable!!
How can you say "nothing" is holding up the beam? If you look at the picture there is a whole wall holding it up. Before there was only 1 4x4 post holding it up and now there is an entire wall... Please explain how this is going to fail. Obviously I came here for a second opinion and if I didn't do it correctly I would like some constructive criticism. There is such a thing as a load bearing wall that can take the place of a post and this is what I did, replaced the post with a load bearing wall. Now explain to me how an entire wall with 20 2x4 studs is less structurally sound then 1 4x4?

P.S. when I said I took the post out I obviously had most of the wall built already and I supported the beam with a jack until I had the rest of the wall built.

Last edited by PlastikSpork; 07-27-2012 at 08:37 AM.
PlastikSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,276
Rewards Points: 3,192
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


I don't want to join the flaming---but --this is the big short fall---that 4x4 was sitting on a footing--sized for the load and soil conditions--

Now the lam beam is suppurated by a slab --depending on your soil type and water table--that slab may lift--drop or even crack--as a slab is not designed to carry that sort of load---

Just pointing out why a footing is used under a point load,like a column.
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
chrisBC (07-27-2012), mae-ling (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 2,055
Rewards Points: 1,030
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


Plistikspork - I understand your thinking that surely a whole wall under there is as good, if not better than Just a post.
But that isn't true, As mike said under the post there was a pad (footing) that was designed for the 4x4, under the wall there is just a concrete floor and it is not designed to carry the load.

You have 2 choices. Put the post back and Put the door some place else. Sometimes when working around existing can't always do what you want.
Or hire a structural engineer and do what he says. May involve busting up concrete floor and putting a footing under the wall. Lots more work.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


I to agree with the ones stating it shouldn't of been removed because of their points exactly....footing under the 4x4.

Will that be a closet as soon as you walk into that room on the right side? Is it possible that you can do away with that and move the door that direction, allowing you to replace the support post? Maybe smaller closet or on opposite side of room? Not sure what your floor plan looks like.
jmac30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 2,055
Rewards Points: 1,030
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


Can you give us a drawing of your floorplan, with all existing posts/plumbing marked?
I wondered about shortening the closet 3' and moving the door that way.
Looks like you'd have to move the door about 12"?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Civil Engineer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,300
Rewards Points: 2,178
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


First off, we have no idea if the 4x4 was actually supported on a footing. We also have no idea if the 4x4 was even necessary, as no one has performed a structural analysis to see if the beam is strong enough without an intermediate support. We also have no idea how thick the slab is, and what supports it. The posts make assumptions not justified by any facts in evidence, they generally seem to assume worst case conditions, i.e. the 4x4 was properly supported, the wall is not.

I do not wish to comment on the adequacy or lack of adequacy of the wall versus the 4x4 post. This can only be addressed by a careful, complete analysis of the loading of the beam, the structural capacity of the beam, the end bearing conditions of the beam, and the support for the wall. This can only be performed by someone on site, with structural engineering knowledge. Such a person might be an engineer, an architect, a contractor, or perhaps the building inspector.

I would like to point out the the OPS question was not whether the wall was adequate, but whether it would pass inspection. Of course, the only person who can answer such a question is the building inspector. I recommend that the OPS contact the building inspector immediately, preferably in person, inform them of the work that has been performed, and discuss what permits, if any, are required, and how to obtain said permits.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
Duckweather (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 2,055
Rewards Points: 1,030
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


The existing system has held up the house, If you leave the existing system then you don't need a structural analysis. The new walls are just to hold drywall and doors, not load bearing.
If you change the existing system (remove 4x4 post) then you need to have a structural analysis.

Last edited by mae-ling; 07-27-2012 at 05:22 PM.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PlastikSpork

How can you say "nothing" is holding up the beam? If you look at the picture there is a whole wall holding it up. Before there was only 1 4x4 post holding it up and now there is an entire wall... Please explain how this is going to fail. Obviously I came here for a second opinion and if I didn't do it correctly I would like some constructive criticism. There is such a thing as a load bearing wall that can take the place of a post and this is what I did, replaced the post with a load bearing wall. Now explain to me how an entire wall with 20 2x4 studs is less structurally sound then 1 4x4?

P.S. when I said I took the post out I obviously had most of the wall built already and I supported the beam with a jack until I had the rest of the wall built.
You have no idea what you are talking about. A wall supporting a beam has to have a footing underneath it.

This is where the way you think is dangerous and why you are in this situation. Your clueless and went ahead and became your own engineer and now it backfired.

You ask after the fact which makes no sense either. I do this for a living.....nothing you can say will justify what you did. Your response here proves that you think you learned over night about the the way a structural beam is supported.

You're obviously doing the job with no plans and permits.

Now your in trouble no matter what anyone says here. You're attitude deserves no help what so ever.
__________________
Joe Carola

Last edited by Joe Carola; 07-28-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


Can anyone tell me how to size a footing for a beam support in a new basement, for an old house.
qc_riderfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Member
 
GBrackins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairhaven, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,877
Rewards Points: 2,032
Default

Building interior basement wall under laminated wood beam.


qc,

ask your question in a new post please, it can get confusing when asking in someone else's post

Advertisement

__________________
Gary

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basement Decorative Wood Wall Cover popping up tk3000 Building & Construction 8 10-29-2010 01:17 PM
Crawl Space Beam and Joist Support Questions Fire4Effect Building & Construction 5 06-28-2009 02:07 PM
Replacing a 6x6 post with a laminated wood beam wazzie Remodeling 3 03-21-2009 11:18 AM
Atlantic-need your opinion on markd's comments about my vapor barrier? yummy mummy Building & Construction 11 03-07-2007 10:47 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts