Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2004, 11:25 AM   #1

building a hut /shed

what would be the best materials to build a hut/ shed say 8foot high / 10 foot long and say seven foot wide also what would be the best foundation for this. can some help me to find the best mix for concrete mix as i want to buy the materails myself would it be say full bag of cement then three full bags of sand then mix all together please help just that the last time i tried a message board like this not this one i did not get a reply

gerry

Old 08-06-2004, 09:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

building a hut /shed

I see no reason to go with a concrete floor on a shed of that size other than personal preference. A wood floor made of pressure-treated materials should serve you just fine. Also, try to stay away from odd sizes, such as your 7' width. Go ahead and make it 8' wide as you will just be throwing away a lot of 1' pieces of lumber and siding.

Take a look at the buildings on my website and see if that's the style of building you may want and I can help you further.

www.romesheds.com

Doyle

doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:20 AM   #3

building a hut /shed

I build sheds like that just like little houses. A concrete floor and framed walls. Check your local concrete batch plants, lots of them will deliver the amount of concrete you want. Because you are right on the edge in quantity doing it by the bag will be expensive and the delivery charge for a batch will probably bring that price close to you mixing it yourself, however if you don't have to do any mixing and especially gathering and moving all the materials going into the concrete you will come out far ahead by just ordering it and pouring it.

Frame the walls with 2x4s and add sheathing.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

building a hut /shed

I know this was an old post, but if you are still around... I am pouring a slab for my shed, again personal preference, and I haven't decided if I want to have the concrete as the floor of my shed, or to raise the floor up off the concrete a couple of inches.

How would you attached the framing etc... to the concrete if you were to use the concrete as the floor of your shed. Put rebar in the slab during the pour and attached the framing to the rebar?
orangewhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

building a hut /shed

i wouldnt, i would set bolts with at least 2 1/2 inches aboe top of concrete, mark the base plate of the walls and drill holes.
lxdollarsxl is offline   Reply With Quote