Building A Home As Cheap As Possible - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building A Home as Cheap As Possible

I am 21, married, have two kids and am expecting (unexpectedly) our third baby in February. We are currently living in a one bedroom peice of crap... With many issues... Like mold, moisture under the floors, frozen pipes... and just a lot of crap...

We are broke as a joke. And I really don't know how to go about doing any of this but I want to build my own house. I don't know how to do it at all. Where do I start? Blue prints? Or what? I'm so overwhelmed...

I won't have a ton of money at once to start on it, but I'm looking for something I can do relatively cheaply (less than 50-75k?) and something with at least three bedrooms (i have a boy and girl and dont know what the next baby will be).

I will be getting around 3-4k this august when my student loans come in, and at leat another 3k this october when PFD's come out (I live in Alaska....) So I might have a bit of a start....

But I have no clue what I need to do right now and how to work it all out... Any advice or steps would be appreciated.

Advertisement

samanthavv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Start with land 1st
Are you renting ?
You are going to use a student loan to build a house ??

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

No, we are not renting. We have 1.7 acres....

And yes... Whatever is left from my grants/scholarships after my courses are paid for, I get to keep and do whatever with...
samanthavv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is it worth it to add onto the current space ?
Maybe build off of one wall of existing space ?
Then you can access the new area easier while working on it

I'm not sure what you do for foundations up there
But basically I started with drawing up plans of the area I wanted
Figure out where you want windows & doors, Bathroom, kitchen, bedrooms etc
I picked up a lot of windows at 1/2 price due to mis-measurements from other people
Many supply stores have windows that they get stuck with that they sell at reduced prices

I'd frame out the outside shell & get it dry, windows & doors etc
That way you would be able to use the space in warmer weather
Then work on framing out the interior rooms
I'm not sure on the Inspection process where you are
That's something to look into also
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

Where in Alaska are you?---Many of the saw mills will sell direct to the user--and may be cheep due to the general bust in new home construction.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

I built my own house, myself once! Its a ton of work and more.
I did it myself and it took me about 5 years. Of course, I worked at a full time job, and worked on the house nights, weekends and vacations.
With 3 babies, you have a full time job also!

Have you considered buying a mobile home and have it setup on your property?
You could live in it, while building your dream home!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 528

you might be a canditate for habitat for humanity, and i say this respectfully. you have your hands full with the family, building your own home will take you a long ass time and you will loose the best years of your life to it, instead of with your family.

friend of my parents wanted to build his own home. took a trip to the city to get the first permit.. was $20K, no joke.

Knucklez
Old 06-10-2010, 02:13 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

do you have to deal with the permafrost were you are at, or can you build into the ground?

either way, I think shipping containers are your answer. I've been looking into converting mulit-model shipping containers into houses lately. that the cheapest and quickest way to get your structure. lots of plans available on line for them too. not to mention earthquake proof (they are made to move and get abused).

stick a few of those together, throw up some studs on the inner walls, spray foam insulation, and some thick fiberglass batting or blown in insulation under a traditional roof with steel roofing pannels. add in a few windows and doors, and you are good to go.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
comments removed
no need to be an ass. FYI housing allowances are part of what they use to calculate student loan amounts, and there there is no limit at all on what the money can be used for once school is paid for. Sure, $7k may not be much to start building with, but it can be done. living in crappy conditions is much more bearable if you can see the light at the end of the tunnel under construction a few feet away
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

I really don't know if this is a serious post or not, sounds like it is but I've been fooled before...but either way, it sounds like someone has a bad case of too much of the American dream.

You build a house and you have maintain it for as long as you own it; both processes are costly are require manangment skills and working within a budget.

To paraphrae the poster: You have two kids already and - "unexpectedly" - created another. Seems to me like you're unsure on the basics of life. Forget the dream, learn the day-to-day.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
Military Mom of 4

Are you paying on your current home?

Consider several non-home building options you have

1) Use your extra money to fix up your current house
This might be a good idea, however, I'm doing the same thing - and it's gone way over estimate budget and I'm not even hiring anyone to help, I'm just DI-alone.

2) Put your extra money towards a down payment on a decent home - this would REALLY bring down your overall loan-needs for a home and you can keep some as "spruce up" money for furnishings.

3) (is all this money upfront cash your talking about?) Put your extra money in a savings account and apply it to your current mortgage/rent (either where you live, now - or rent a new place) - If you pay $800.00 in rent each month and have $20,000 in savings then that, $600.00 flooded into your checking account or so each month can help alot to carry you through the next few years - enough for you to be solid in a career by the time you're through with it and help cover your current payments in full when money's tight a few times.

and I'll add that, odds are, your current home-situation was done with the cheapest-budget being adhered to. Cheap is not equal to quality. Poor quality homes are achieved by using the cheaper materials, cheaper labor and cheaper tools - cutting corners and simply failing to construct a solid home.

Last edited by Snav; 06-10-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Snav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,274

Samantha, It's certainly possible to build a small 3 bdr house for under 75k if you already own the land. I think your biggest issue will be time. It takes an incredible amount of time to build a house and it really takes both spouses contributing heavily. Going to school and 3 kids makes it rough to get that time. And certain steps need to be done fairly quickly to prevent deterioration.

Plan everything in advance before you lift a shovel. Talk to the building department. Keep the construction simple for rapid construction. (A single story basic rectangle with Gable Roof) Figure how long each step will take and multiply by 3 to 5. It will take several years to complete unless you have lots of help and time. Divide it into stages that don't put the structure at risk. (I'm assuming that in Alaska you have limited times of good building conditions.)
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

I found a website once while browsing the web that may be a start for you. Now this IS NOT a complete how-to guide and there is no idea if any of this is even true but it may give you some information you were looking for such as where/how to begin, what finance options there could be and more. This was also not done in Alaska so you WILL have to check with all your local authorities/businesses before starting.

As someone else has mentioned...Spend lots of Time planning EVERYTHING before you begin. The month (or more) spent planning will give you a good idea if this is possible for you and save you from terrible heartache later on.

Best of Luck

http://www.make-my-own-house.com/index.html
Cmudr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #14
fabrk8r

samanthavv,
here is an interesting read about a couple who documented the process of building a cabin in Alaska. It may not be what you are looking for in a home, but it may give you some ideas.

http://tiny.cc/log_cabin
Old 06-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Aparantly you can build a very cheap and solid house using shipping containers. I don't know how this process works (where to get the containers, legal side etc).

And wow I'm 24 and single I can't imagine being in your position, I'm busy enough with my house and my job let alone babies and wife and school! Hope all goes well. Once school is done things get easier.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote