Building A Home/cabin From Pine Beams? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a home/cabin from pine beams?

I just got a deal on a ton of beams from 8" to 8" x 12' long. I would like to build a cabin from the lumber but i really dont know how to start. I have quite a few questions and i was told that there are experts on this site that would be willing to walk me thru the process. From reading this site i have already learned alot. My first question would be how the wiring and plumbing would be ran in a solid wall? Look forward to you guys help if you would be so kind. Thanks in advance......shane
Also any tips on design to make it rustic would be appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement

shae moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The TV series Hometime did a log cabin project a few years ago. See if you can get a hold of the DVD of the series. It will only give you the broad strokes of what it's like to build one of these, but it will give you a good idea about some of the details specific to cabin vs traditional frame building.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #3

I really want to do this all on mty own so any help would be great! I know lots of you guys and girls have done it, so im just asking for a friendly ste;p by step But i understand the sesrecy. Thanks again for the help but i am sure i can figue something out!! any tips or ideas are surely appreciated.....shane/ thanks again
shane moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
the Musigician

talk about contradictions! you want to do it all on your own, but any help would be great? "Thanks again for the help but i am sure i can figure something out???" (sp corrected) and of course we've all built our own cabins from 8" beams??? and you understand WHAT secrecy???
(again, sp corrected) this thread is sounding mighty 'Fishy" to me......

DM
Old 11-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shae moss View Post
.... My first question would be how the wiring and plumbing would be ran in a solid wall? Look forward to you guys help if you would be so kind. Thanks in advance......shane
http://forums.mikeholt.com/archive/i...p/t-91932.html
Old 11-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane moss View Post
I really want to do this all on mty own so any help would be great! I know lots of you guys and girls have done it, so im just asking for a friendly ste;p by step But i understand the sesrecy. Thanks again for the help but i am sure i can figue something out!! any tips or ideas are surely appreciated.....shane/ thanks again
My first suggestion would be to start with a well illustrated book on log cabin building.

There are also lots of sites online. Examples:

http://www.2020site.org/cabin/index.html

http://outlands.tripod.com/farm/logcabin.htm

http://www.alaskaantlerworks.com/Alaska_cabin.htm
Old 11-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
talk about contradictions! you want to do it all on your own, but any help would be great? "Thanks again for the help but i am sure i can figure something out???" (sp corrected) and of course we've all built our own cabins from 8" beams??? and you understand WHAT secrecy???
(again, sp corrected) this thread is sounding mighty 'Fishy" to me......

DM
Whats fishy about that question? I just want to build a home from these timbers and what i didnt know i thought i could ask some of you pro's! Sorry to get you all riled up, maybe i should try another forum!

Thanks to all the folks who tried to help with the links.....shane
Old 11-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Whats fishy about that question? I just want to build a home from these timbers and what i didnt know i thought i could ask some of you pro's! Sorry to get you all riled up, maybe i should try another forum!

Thanks to all the folks who tried to help with the links.....shane
Hi Shane,

Don't worry about that. Just ignore those comments. MDM says some off-the-wall things, but he doesn't necessarily mean anything, he's harmless.

...hope the links help a little.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:05 AM   #9

Some of these beams are different size but i can cut them to what i need. What would be the best size as in 8x8 or smaller or bigger? I have realized i have way too many questions to bother you folks with so i will try to find a book and ask for explanations for what i cant understand as to not bother you guys so much. The links did help but i am just a simpleton when it comes to building a cabin....lol. Thanks for any help. The timbers are anywhere from 8', 10' to 12' lengths and cut flat on all sides. The mill guy told me he would give and saw me enough to frame a 900 sq. ft. house 10' tall for 3000.00 is this a good deal? thanks ....shane
Old 11-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #10
the Musigician

sorry, but you sound too much like a previous poster, "Fishy", a 15 yr old kid who wanted to build a "partyhouse" in someone else's woods. no experience, no safety measures, no permits and no permission. just throw it together and hope he lives through the experience. sorry if i come on too strong, my main concern is your safety, and it's not my fault they allow mental patients to post here! with (admittedly) no experience or help, you're asking for serious injury or worse. i'll tell you what, you come here and help me finish building my home, and i'll come help you build your cabin. (on YOUR property, WITH necessary permits.) and you're not 'bothering' anyone here with legit questions, most of us here truly enjoy helping others through a tough problem they have no experience with.

DM
Old 11-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

The beams are not graded. Therefore you have to know what to look for to make sure that the beams can hold the weight you want to put on them. When building a structure it is very important that you get it right. With ungraded beams you have to overbuild unless of course you know what you are looking for in a structural beam.

Depending on what kind of pine you have there is a compression factor that needs to be considered. In the west yellow pine will compress 1" in 8 feet over 2 years. In order to get around that any rough cut pine needs to be larger than fir/hem/tamrack.

With post and beam construction the foundation needs to be different. Where the posts meet the foundation it has to be thicker since there is a lot of weight at the one spot. I have seen slabs poured that were normal slabs and then a post and beam building put on it and the cement cracked within a few years. This threw out the door and window alignment and screwed up the whole house. The called me to come a fix it all. I declined as it was too much of a liability for me.

Over the years I have built "real" pole buildings out of lodge pole pine poles. I cut these in the woods and hauled them out and put them up. One was done over 40 years ago and had withstood some serious winds and heavy snows. It is still standing strong and will last for hundreds of years.

If done right and with lots of research and good planning you will have a nice cabin.

While this forum is great for problems that can be fixed for small portions of the building process I can't see how anyone could help you build the whole thing from scratch. I am sure that as you progress if you have questions there will be someone that can help you here and there.

Sounds like a fun project. Keep us up to to date on your progress and include pictures.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #12

I stick built my 20x20 work shop from the ground up. Footers, block work, framing, dying in and finishing. I did have some help with the wiring and plumbing though. Stacking beams is a different animal to me, for instace; how do i route the electrical and plunbing? How do i fasten the beams together? Any underlayment between beams for weather proof/chink? Maybe i will get a book after all that will cover it step by step. I have been reading this site for a while and really learned alot, thanks....shane
Old 11-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I stick built my 20x20 work shop from the ground up. Footers, block work, framing, dying in and finishing. I did have some help with the wiring and plumbing though. Stacking beams is a different animal to me, for instace; how do i route the electrical and plunbing? How do i fasten the beams together? Any underlayment between beams for weather proof/chink? Maybe i will get a book after all that will cover it step by step. I have been reading this site for a while and really learned alot, thanks....shane
You have to notch them sometimes, use bolts or lag screws, use metal plates, it all depends on how you want to build it and the spans you want to achieve.

Post and beam building have to have walls to protect from the outside so they still get regular type walls with dimensional lumber and you can do the plumbing and electrical on that.

The difference in post and beam is where the weight is distributed to.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:55 AM   #14

Anyone reccomend a book that would cover it step by step? The beams will be placed horizontal so would their be any under layment between the beams as chink? The interior will be stick framed and wood siding. The logs have been cut to 7 inchs x 8 or 10 inchs and i would like to use the timber for the gables as well. Just not sure how it will look with the beams cut square (or Rectangle). Guess i am off to the book store, thanks folks for the tips....shane
Old 11-18-2008, 06:00 AM   #15
the Musigician

your local public library would be a great place to start! (and cheaper than buying a book at a bookstore too)

DM

Advertisement