Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2009, 01:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

building a heavy wall

Hello,I am looking at building a wall to separate my newer entryway from my kitchen/dinning room. I would like to put man made cultured stone on each side of the wall. It will be 8' tall (to the ceiling) and most of the wall will sit on 2x8 floor joist and some will kick over two other 2x8 joists. My concern is the weight of the wall and if the joist below can handle it. The pic below will hopfully explane more about the current floor system. The stone itself will be ruffly 13psf (one side of wall) and that does not include the lumber, mortar, scratch coat, etc... I think worst case completed it would be about 18-20psf if that seems likely. The roof is 4/12 pitch trusses and the roof load is only on the front and back of the house. The only thing on the 2x8's right now is 3/4" subfloor. The basement 2x8's are completly accessable and new addition subfloor can be easily pulled up to do any work that might be needed or adding something just to be safe. Any help or tips would be great about his concern.
Attached Thumbnails
building a heavy wall-1.jpg  

Last edited by crmotoxr; 01-31-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: picture mistake
crmotoxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

building a heavy wall

This is just a "maybe" because you really need to determine exactly what lies beneath the location of the proposed wall. But, the most important thing will be to try and place each of your wall studs directly above the existing joists.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

building a heavy wall

I just changed the drawing, there was a big mistake on the length of the wall over the exisiting joists but it is correct now. The proposed location is going to be directly over a existing 2x8, howere i will have to add a 2x6 joist and 2x4 vertical loadbearing stud in the newer part so it is inline with the existing joists. The part of the wall that kicks to the left will cross two other existing 2x8's. Under the existing 2x8s now is just a basement and the newer addtion entryway is now built over the old outdoor porch, there is just a concrete slab w/ footings under the newer part. I ran some ruff numbers of the weights. They are based off of 18psf worst case with stone, lumber, mortar, etc.. 1300lbs over the 4' 5" section, 1100lbs over the 3' 7" section and 1100lbs over the 3' 5" section. This seems like a lot of weight even directly over joists. Would it be in my best interest to remove the 2x8s and replace them with lam beams or just double up the 2x8s and 2x6s so that each side of the 2x6 wall is sitting directly over a joist? (1 1/2" on each side, then 2 1/2" 2x8 blocks between the two joist if i double them up) thanks for help.
crmotoxr is offline   Reply With Quote