Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Building hanging monkey bars in basement.

Hello
I have a weird request.
I have a spare room in the basement, about 8x12', with no ceiling.
The floor joists are 1.75"x7". I would like to put up some monkey bars in the room from one end to the other. But because the room is so small, I don't want it taking up a lot of room.

The joists are 14.25" apart. Ideally for now, I'd like to have a handle for the monkey bar every 7", so two per joist.

I was thinking

a) something that could some how swing down, maybe one arm swings one way, the other arm swings the other way into the ceiling. So I can swing them down, and connect with a bar in th middle. The only thing is that the joists are 14.25" apart, so I'd need to figure out the best way to do it. I guess I could do each monkey bar handle inbetween the joists, so I would have two handles inbetween each joist. This way each one would be consistent. Rather than having one on the joist, and one in the middle between two joists.

b) I was thinking if a was too difficult, I could put some type of support hooks on the joists. Build a separate aparatus that would be all one piece. When I wanted to set the monkey bars up, I would just hang it from the hooks. The only issue with that is, I'd want it to hang about 2' from the joist. So I'm going to have an aparatus that's 2'x10' sitting on the floor 90% of the time, just in tihe way.

c) Now as I typed this, I wonder if I could combine the two. I wonder if I could have 2' arms, that swing down from the ceiling. So the left one would split to the left side, and the right to the right side. Then I'd just have a 10' ladder type apparatus, that I would than hang from the 2' hooks. I mean I guess I could even have additional hooks on the joists to hold the ladder up there when not in use. The issue would be to make sure when the arms swing down, and I connect the ladder, that it's stable, and not swinging.

Does this make sense to anyone?
I'm somewhat handy, not a great deal, so I would like to know if what I have in mind is possible and not too difficult? Or does anyone have a better idea?

I've attached an image to try and picture it. The left image is if the arms are swung up when not used. The right image is not on the proper joist, but just used to show what it would look like hanging down. There would be on every joist. Then I'd build a ladder apparatus that I'd hang from the hooks.
Attached Thumbnails
Building hanging monkey bars in basement.-joist.jpg  

doogie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

I would use 2x6 and make a ladder that stays up there. use two 10' 2x6 and drill holes into both 2x6 along the 2x's however far you want to space the bars. line up the holes so that they are the same on both pieces of 2x. cut the bars to fit into the holes and secure the bars into the holes with a small hole drilled into the bar on each end and screws that goes through the hole up into the 2x6.

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #3

But I don't want it at ceiling height. I'd like it to be about 2' lower than the floor joists.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie88 View Post
But I don't want it at ceiling height. I'd like it to be about 2' lower than the floor joists.

NP, build it like a ladder and hang it however much below ceiling height that you need it to be... use vertical bracing and angle bracing to hold it up and keep it from moving
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:38 AM   #5

The point is though I'm trying to take up as little room as possible. The room is small as is, and don't really want 2'x10' hanging down all the time.