Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

building a garage loft-load question

I would like to build a garage loft measuring 8 feet by 6 feet. I am planning on using 8 foot long 2x6's and I will purchase the strongest they have in stock at the lumber yard. I want to attach the 2x6's as ledgers on 2 corner walls with the fastenmaster lag screws. The walls are 2x6 construction and are both load bearing. I intend on making the floor with 2x4's (16" oc) and using metal hangers at both ends of each 2x4. I do not want to have any floor supports due to parking limitations and I want to hang the one corner from the roof trusses. I would like to span 3 roof trusses with a piece of pre-drilled L-shaped angle iron and suspend the one corner from this overhead support.

I would like to know approximately how much weight a structure like this could support, and if it could safely be used for storage?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Corey

coreyf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

building a garage loft-load question

You would need to determine if the trusses can support the additional load.
If the platform was going from wall to wall, this wouldn't be an issue as the load would be on the vertical framing members.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garage, load-rating, loft. mezzanine, storage