Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #1

Share |

building a dormer - guestimate cost?

Hey all - we want to build (or have built) a dormer. It would be virtually identical to the attached picture - except no half-moon (so wouldn't be as tall as this one either). We're thinking it would be a double window of about 5 foot (or whatever is standard) and the surrounding peaked dormer like the picture would be sized simply to allow for that window.

This project is a framing, window, roofing, siding, insulation AND drywall job. I'm a DIY guy, but framing of this kind (and cutting a big hole in my roof) is out of my league. So probably is roofing/flashing and I've never done siding.

I live in Atlanta. So - anyone care to venture a guess on the cost I'd pay a contractor(s) total for this job for the exterior portion only?

I'd handle the interior (insulation, drywall, painting and trim).

My wife wants this tomorrow - but I have no idea if I might pull it off for $1000 or if it's a $7000 job.
Attached Thumbnails
building a dormer - guestimate cost?-dormer.jpg  

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante View Post
Hey all - we want to build (or have built) a dormer. It would be virtually identical to the attached picture - except no half-moon (so wouldn't be as tall as this one either). We're thinking it would be a double window of about 5 foot (or whatever is standard) and the surrounding peaked dormer like the picture would be sized simply to allow for that window.

This project is a framing, window, roofing, siding, insulation AND drywall job. I'm a DIY guy, but framing of this kind (and cutting a big hole in my roof) is out of my league. So probably is roofing/flashing and I've never done siding.

I live in Atlanta. So - anyone care to venture a guess on the cost I'd pay a contractor(s) total for this job for the exterior portion only?

I'd handle the interior (insulation, drywall, painting and trim).

My wife wants this tomorrow - but I have no idea if I might pull it off for $1000 or if it's a $7000 job.
Can the moderator who deleted my post about you guys putting a sticky here please send me a message so we can discuss this?

Last edited by Joe Carola; 04-05-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #3

Hi Joe - duly noted. I understand all the reasons why "online pricing" can't really work.

However - I'm not looking to find out this project will cost $4,323.17.

I'm most simply trying to find out if a project of this scope would lean more towards the $1000 range, or more like $7000 - even give or take a few thousand.

I mean, most people could guestimate a general price for a new roof on a certain size house. Or perhaps a rough cost for a 12x12 deck. Just a generalization.
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante
Hi Joe - duly noted. I understand all the reasons why "online pricing" can't really work.

However - I'm not looking to find out this project will cost $4,323.17.

I'm most simply trying to find out if a project of this scope would lean more towards the $1000 range, or more like $7000 - even give or take a few thousand.

I mean, most people could guestimate a general price for a new roof on a certain size house. Or perhaps a rough cost for a 12x12 deck. Just a generalization.
I think a lot more of value to you would be to find a local design/build firm and pose to him the question. It'll take you the same amount of time, it'll provide you a step toward the "3 quotes" and best of all, it's local pricing so you know it's in a Better ballpark.

I've done it a number of times and as long as your honest with them it works out well. They usually will give you a back of the napkin number for free so you know if you have enough money to worry about the project.

IMHO, I'd think 7k is a floor, and it can go up. But that's just my experience (a bay window costing 3-5k quoted)
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by "MLMIB

IMHO, I'd think 7k is a floor, and it can go up. But that's just my experience (a bay window costing 3-5k quoted)
And this is why the DIY
howmeowner was born.......

Last edited by sublime2; 04-02-2012 at 05:29 PM.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #6

[QUOTE="sublime2"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "MLMIB

IMHO, I'd think 7k is a floor, and it can go up. But that's just my experience (a bay window costing 3-5k quoted)[/QUOTE
And this is why the DIY howmeowner was born.......
There are a lot of things I will DIY, heck I'm buying a 2k asbestos tile remover so I can DIY that job in the basement but we all have our ones that are just to much something. A bay window, I don't think I'm ready to DIY that one. I know some may, just like some may do a former of this size, but not all or even most.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB

There are a lot of things I will DIY, heck I'm buying a 2k asbestos tile remover so I can DIY that job in the basement but we all have our ones that are just to much something. A bay window, I don't think I'm ready to DIY that one. I know some may, just like some may do a former of this size, but not all or even most.
I hear what your saying!
My point is those quotes IMHO excessive. I would rather put the time and energy in my self to do it then pay someone else money like that to do it.
I would certainly research the job thoroughly before starting and then take it on. Not to mention it would be done exactly the way I want not what a sub thinks I want.

P.S. be very careful with that basement project.

Last edited by sublime2; 04-02-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Too many variables as usual.

Some Examples:

- Age of house - Does it require EPA RRP protocols = $$$
- Actual location: second floor? third Floor? ready acess to location, or area completely surrounded by shrubs = $$$
- Interior area - how much has to be done to complete the interior side? Matching of texture ceiling? = $$$
- Existing roof framing dimensions?
- Size of window? type of windows? preferred brand? energy rating? exterior finish of window? interior finish of window (wood/other?) = $$$
- Type of siding material?
- Debris haul out included? = $$$
- Type of roofing? Age/condition of existing roof? (affects the amount of roofing that will need to be replaced)= $$$
- Permit included? or Home Owner getting permit?
- Do you have the drawings to be submitted for the permit, or does the contractor have to create them? = $$$
- Insulation requirements for your region?
- Super clean house? or Ok to do the work with minimal clean up (home owner provides cleaning)? = $$$
- Economy good/bad in your region? (bad or poor = affects costs due to competition).
- Insurance and licensing requirements for contractors in your area (affects their overhead).
- Etc.
- Etc.
- Etc.
- Etc.

The points above are just some of the factors in such a project that create variables towards costs (as much as $10K difference).

It is not possible to properly price Construction, Remodeling, Repairs, etc - over the internet (no matter how much information you try to include, or, how much you "wish-it-to-be-so" ) = Get Local Estimates.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtlanticWBConst. For This Useful Post:
12penny (04-03-2012), kwikfishron (04-02-2012), woodworkbykirk (04-02-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Framing Contractor

1k might cover the engineer and the window cost.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante
And yet your still asking. Unbelievable!

What part of the link and getting prices on the internet don't you understand??
Old 04-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola

And yet your still asking. Unbelievable!

What part of the link and getting prices on the internet don't you understand??
Shot in the dark here,but I'm gonna go with;none of it. Lol