DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Building a deck without concrete (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/building-deck-without-concrete-134529/)

Darren R 02-21-2012 04:05 PM

Building a deck without concrete
 
Hi. This spring I will be building a new deck around my house. Only problem is that where I will be doing it there is a well, septic, and hydro. So I cannot do concrete. I have seen adjustable post holders and DEK blocks. Will these work? My area also has a lot of heaving in spring.

concretemasonry 02-21-2012 04:52 PM

Dek blocks and some of the adjustable posts will not work if you have soils that heave or frost unless the deck is not attached to the house and you can tolerate an uneven deck surface.

What is the problem with drilling some holes (after exploring) and using Sontubes below you local frost levels that are filled with concrete. You then insert and Simpson stand-off bracket to keep the wood above the ground. This is a proven method even for ledger attached deck. The Dek blocks may not be allowed where you are.

Dick

stadry 02-21-2012 06:51 PM

dick, you looked younger next the bugatti :laughing:

Darren R 02-21-2012 07:03 PM

Problem being the well and the septic tank as mentioned. So I need to figure out another way that will allow me to support the deck

titanoman 02-21-2012 07:10 PM

Create a depression, tamp the bottom nice and flat and level, and use patio blocks.
(this is what they are made for)
Post up from there.
Legal in many parts.

Darren R 02-21-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titanoman
Create a depression, tamp the bottom nice and flat and level, and use patio blocks.
(this is what they are made for)
Post up from there.
Legal in many parts.


What's your thoughts on the adjustable posts to adjust if required?

cibula11 02-21-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren R (Post 859612)
What's your thoughts on the adjustable posts to adjust if required?

Where do you live? If your in a climate where the soil freezes/thaws (midwest/northeast, etc.) the only way to support a deck is with footings. Digging would be the only way in that case.

Darren R 02-21-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cibula11
Where do you live? If your in a climate where the soil freezes/thaws (midwest/northeast, etc.) the only way to support a deck is with footings. Digging would be the only way in that case.

Winter peg Manitoba. Frostline is five feet. Do I have to go that deep?

cibula11 02-21-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren R (Post 859635)
Winter peg Manitoba. Frostline is five feet. Do I have to go that deep?


Yep. I live in Iowa where the frost line is 42", but most guys go to 48" to be safe.

My guess is that if you can't dig 5 feet down where you need to (because of the septic, etc.) then you'll have to come up with a different idea than a deck, like a paver patio.

Darren R 02-21-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cibula11

Yep. I live in Iowa where the frost line is 42", but most guys go to 48" to be safe.

My guess is that if you can't dig 5 feet down where you need to (because of the septic, etc.) then you'll have to come up with a different idea than a deck, like a paver patio.

The only other thing I can think of is to drive piles where I can and build off of that although it would be very expensive. Deep holes here don't work well due to the water in the ground.

titanoman 02-21-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren R

What's your thoughts on the adjustable posts to adjust if required?

That's fine.
Or use metal shims later if need be.
I think this is your only option, other than pavers.
Pass it by the building department.
They will probably approve it.

AndyGump 02-21-2012 11:32 PM

Take a look at THIS link.

Andy



You can send my payment via Paypal.







That's just a joke.

titanoman 02-21-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyGump
Take a look at THIS link.

Andy

You can send my payment via Paypal.

That's just a joke.

We can charge people?
How accurate do we gotta be to go pro?

Darren R 02-22-2012 12:30 PM

Ever hear of ground hogs?

AndyGump 02-22-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren R (Post 860256)
Ever hear of ground hogs?

What does that mean?

I guess the link I posted just doesn't work for you?

Andy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved