Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a deck on a tar and gravel roof

Hi everyone!

MODs: I hope this is in the right section; feel free to move it if it's not.

I want to build a floating deck on a 10x20ft tar and gravel roof (sitting on top of a garage). I have a general idea of how I want to do this, but I need some advice to make sure that my plan is sound or ideas on a better way to do this.

Basically, I wanted to build a 2x4 frame where I want the deck to sit, lay some 2x2 sleepers every 16 inches on top of the frame and then just build my deck on top of that. Seems easy enough except for levelling the surface. The roof doesn't slope to a gutter; it slopes inwards to a drain in the centre of the roof so as I understand it, I would have to level the sleepers with something like Bison deck supports. I also want to try and make the deck relatively easy to remove from the roof so that it can be taken off and put back on if/when roofing repairs need to be done, so I would assume I'd have to build in sections in that case.

Is there a "proper" way to do this? I've looked around quite bit both on this forum and other sources on-line, but haven't found a lot of of useful information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

grmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

your approach is on the right track. Build a frame of "squares". Taper the main joists to level the deck. ,make the decking in 2X2 sections that sit into or onto the frame. Now it all can be removed easily. Use screws for everything. (not drywall screws)

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Are you sure the existing structure of the garage roof can support the dead and live loads that will come with a deck? Seems like you may need drawings, engineering signoff and a permit and inspection for this.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (06-01-2012)