Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #1

Share |

Building a deck with a portion over concrete.

We are planning on building a deck this summer. Pretty much everything is ready, (got permit, plans done), but something I hadn't considered for some reason until today occurred to me.'

A small portion of where the deck will be has what used to be a concrete walkway from the driveway. What is the best way to support the deck over the concrete? My first thought would be cut a hole in the concrete and sink the support posts down, but I'm not sure if that is best. Home depot sells something that you can attach directly to concrete and support the posts that way...bad idea?

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I have read extensively on the subject...but what is the best way to get accurate support post placement/squaring if the deck is not going to be attached to the house?

Last edited by aldumil; 05-19-2013 at 02:46 PM.
aldumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!

depends on if you are a minimum required depth for frost protection, and if the deck is being attached to the dwelling. By attached I mean supported. A quick call to the building department should answer your question.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #3

Did you draw up plans for the city to approve?
The question is, where are your concrete footings located.
If the sidewalk is in the way, then yes, cut or break through it and dig your new footing.
I would not consider attaching to the existing 3.5" thick concrete when you need to be down below frost level.

Around here if the deck is permitted, I will have a set of plans drwn up showing the size and the depth of the footing, will also be some rebar in it and will need inspected before pouring concrete.