Building A Deck Over Septic Weepers - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

building a deck over septic weepers

i want to put an addition to my deck over the weeping area. can i use deck blocks with gravel under them or do i need cenment tubes. i do not really want to dig into the bed for fear of hitting something. also the deck will be on a hill, so it will be 5 or 6 feet elevated.

Advertisement

boddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Ayuh,... Building over the leachfield is a Bad Idea....

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

bad idea, really bad? i only need 4 posts and i think its near the end of the bed
boddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

You do not identify where you are located. All septic codes are local. In Massachusetts where I live, you would need a special permit from the Board of Health to place a permanent structure (i.e. deck) over the septic system. It would be most unlikely that they would grant such a permit. Of course, the rules may be different in your state/town, but you should still check with the Board of Health or whichever town board issues the septic permit.

The reason that MA normally prohibits permanent structures from being placed above the septic system is to prevent damage to the underground pipes from supports. They also prohibit trees (tree roots can damage pipes). About the only thing they allow is grass and gardens.

Of course, you may be planning to proceed without a permit. If you do, be aware that in many states you will need an inspection of your septic system before you can sell the house, and the presence of a permanent structure above it may cause the system to fail inspection. In which case, you would need to remove the structure and repair the damage. Big trouble.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I want to add a deck and I don't know exactly where my leach field is located. I have a rough idea based on the lot dimensions etc, but how do I find the leach field more precisely so I can build a deck properly. The town says I have to map out the location of the leach field and the deck.
Do I dig holes? How deep? What do I look for?
My house has 4 bedrooms and was built in 1960 in Connecticut. What would be a likely square footage or shape for the leach field?
Slated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:41 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,470

leach field design/specs are usually determined by soil percolation tests,,, IF your soil is gravel, expect smaller laterals compared to soils that are largely hardpan ( clay ),,, find dimensions by excavating the system however, if you use power equipment, be prepared to repair the damage,,, all footers should be placed below frost levels as the town will tell you.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by boddah View Post
bad idea, really bad? i only need 4 posts and i think its near the end of the bed
Are you getting permits?
Old 11-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Yes, I am applying for a deck permit.
I called the company that pumped my tank and they said they will locate the leach field for $400. If the answer to this is just boring a few hole I can do that myself, I guess.
So how would locate a leach field?
Slated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #9

$400 might be a good value imo,,, for starters, they'll have a better idea from which end of the tank the laterals originate,,, probably have a good idea of how deep, top,,, i'd pay it 'cause i don't want the exercise
Old 11-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slated View Post
Yes, I am applying for a deck permit.
I called the company that pumped my tank and they said they will locate the leach field for $400. If the answer to this is just boring a few hole I can do that myself, I guess.
So how would locate a leach field?
How can you possibly know where the leach field is or anyone here help you? Pay the four hundred and do the right thing. No one here can possibly tell you where it is or help find YOURS.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #11

maybe joe can ask tony soprano to send up joey pots & pans w/jimmy 3fingers who're sitting on the sidewalk over in belleville don't ask how much ! ! !

Advertisement