Building Deck, Ledger Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Building Deck, Ledger question

I have attached a picture of the back of my house. I am starting my deck build. I am planning on building a 16'X24' deck. the issue I am running into and am new at it the layout of the ledger. As you cn see in the picture I have abunk out or an area in the back where the door is kind jots out. How would I lay the ledger board around there?
Attached Thumbnails
Building Deck, Ledger question-img_1791.jpg  

Advertisement

bowanna03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

Will the deck extend on both sides of the bump out?
You'll likely need to sink sonotubes to below frost depth, and use posts to support the deck at that location since the bump out is likely not built to hold up the weight load of a deck.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #3

Yes it will extend past the bumb out on both sides.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 10

Like Bob said, you will likely need some additional support where your ledger is attaching to the cantilevered joists. You could get this engineered to determine exactly what would be required and it may save you some work and extra footings.

I'd also be concerned about covering the window and well to the left of the door. If that is an egress window, building over it could cause problems. May lose bedroom classification or violate fire code etc.
SeattleSurfaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

Unfortunately you did not supply your location/climate, so all you can get are guesses.

I would go with a free-standing deck and cantilever it back to within an inch or two of the house. Then the two are isolated and you eliminate all of the problems of associated with ledger supports, especially with the angles and moisture proofing/flashing up and under the vinyl siding that are historically common with that type of construction. Ledger support seems cheap at first, but in the end, others (mold/moisture remediation, repair) benefit from the problems with ledger support.

You will need substantial footings/support elsewhere, so a few more to eliminate the problems and give you freedom on the size and shape of the deck. A step-down from the door could easily be supported by a free-standing deck.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Someone posted this link a while ago:

http://www.lancova.com/deckinfo.pdf

Figure 35 at the bottom shows a picture of how to frame around a bay window.

Not sure if that would work in this situation, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in to comment.
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 274

Is the top of the deck going to be at the stair height, or stepping down to the deck. I don't see either window being covered up. That vent to the right will be.
What's going on with that well thing?
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #8

About 2-4 inches lower than the door entrance, it will not affect the windows at all. I am going to work around the faucet or move it. Will it be a big deal if I cover the well window? I live in upstate new york, Syracuse area.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

...as has been mentioned, build as if it was a bow window. As per code, you can't hang a ledger off a cantilever. Concretemasonry probably offers the best approach.

...when you submit your plan to the local authority for your permit they will tell what is legal and what isnt

...you did apply for a permit.....didnt you?
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #10

I have not applied for a permit yet, But will. I am not quite ready to build yet, I want to make sure of what I am doing before I put in for the permit.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #11

when I run the header off of the joists do I need posts for extra support or the fact that it is a double header off of double joists is enough support.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,052

Fig. 35, 6' max.; http://www.lancova.com/deckinfo.pdf

And the 2009 update; http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/...eckarticle.pdf

Keep in mind:

posts within 5' of house footings are as deep as basement footings; screws required in rims and rim-covering decking board; notch 6x6 (min.) posts or use positive metal connectors; gang beams joists or solid, no split sides of post; opposite sides abutting hangered joists to beam not allowed, etc.

Gary
Old 04-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #13

the bumb out is over 6', what do i do know? do I have to add posts?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,052

Your local B.D. will give the final approval, I'd check with them. Then you have a paper trail for your Homeowners Insurance carrier if ever any problems and for future house sale. Mention the window blockage also....
Why not a concrete patio?

Gary
Old 06-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #15

As you can see in the picture. I am starting to lay the deck boards on either side of th ebump out, I just finised doing so and noticed as I start to run the first full board across I am tight on both sides of the decking board but have a big gap in the middle. What can i do to fix this? The board is already attached and I used the camo hidden fastener system. any help would be appreciated. I will try to take some pictures when I get home.

Advertisement