Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:00 AM   #1

Share |

Building a deck on a concrete patio.

I am building a small deck (3 x 8) attached to the house over a concrete patio. How do I secure the posts that will hold the deck to the concrete patio?

Leon H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #2

if you need more than gravity, there are angle clips you can get at the apron store that will hold your posts off the conc & attach w/lead shields & lags.

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #3

If you are in the northern half of the country, that patio should not be used for support. Your footer supports should be below frost line, which means breaking a hole in the patio and pouring a footer. The deck can be either free floating and rest on the patio, or attached to the house with footer supports.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon H. View Post
I am building a small deck (3 x 8) attached to the house over a concrete patio. How do I secure the posts that will hold the deck to the concrete patio?
Ayuh,... If you're in a northern climate, Don't attach it to the house,...
When the concrete heaves with frost, it's rip it off the house...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

The point about the footers is correct, you do not want to attach posts to a floating slab for a variety of reasons. First, the frost heave as noted. Second, the slab may not be strong enough to support the load. So you need to do as suggested by a previous post, namely break through the concrete and install footers to size and depth as per local code.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
What these other guys have said - about NOT attaching it to the house and the strength of the floating slab - is true.

However... A 3x8 deck is pretty darned small. It's more like a raised walk-way. I'm curious about it. Why are you building it? How high, etc.?

Also, are you wanting this to be a "Holmes on Homes" kind of job? Or are you happy to have it be "decent" because you'll be doing something else somewhere down the road?

If you're looking for good but not holy cow awesome, you can affix your 4x4 posts to the concrete slab. Heavy brackets can be had for $10-$15 each at any HD or Lowes or Menards. Again... That wouldn't be the ideal way to do this (probably) but it'll work.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
Leon H. (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Carpenter

Not enough info.
A simple 3ft by 8ft deck.

Is this a 1st floor deck just to cover the concrete, or is it a second story deck?

1st floor deck, just attach it to the house or the slab, but not both so it can move. Hammerdrill and lead anchors.

2nd floor deck, You can either connect with a galvanized flange that is designed to bolt to the slab and then you set your post in it, these are found at HD, and all the others.
It is not out of the question to just pin it either. Anchor a galvanized or stainless bolt or rod in the slab, cut the head of the bolt off, drill a hole in the bottom of the post and set the post on the pin. This prevents the post from being knocked out when hit by a lawn mower or something. Perfectly legal in VA and KY.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)
dtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
What these other guys have said - about NOT attaching it to the house and the strength of the floating slab - is true.

However... A 3x8 deck is pretty darned small. It's more like a raised walk-way. I'm curious about it. Why are you building it? How high, etc.?
I'm building it as a step out for a sliding patio door. It is about 2ft. off the patio.
Also, are you wanting this to be a "Holmes on Homes" kind of job? Or are you happy to have it be "decent" because you'll be doing something else somewhere down the road?
Decent. It will not be inspected. I just want the 4x4 posts to not be "floating" on the cement patio.

If you're looking for good but not holy cow awesome, you can affix your 4x4 posts to the concrete slab. Heavy brackets can be had for $10-$15 each at any HD or Lowes or Menards. Again... That wouldn't be the ideal way to do this (probably) but it'll work.
Sounds good enough for my use.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Sounds good enough for my use.
I remain intrigued.

Why those dimensions? Is this like a handicap ramp?

Just curious - and I know it's none of my business.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
I remain intrigued.

Why those dimensions? Is this like a handicap ramp?
No. It is up against an 8 ft. wall and it comes out 3ft from the sliding patio door.(not 2 as I think I said earlier). Then I have two steps coming down from it.

Just curious - and I know it's none of my business.
thanks for the interest.