Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #1

Share |

building a deck above a work area in my barn

If I use 6 x 6 treated posts 20' long as beams and have them spaced 12' apart. Can I use 2 x 12 joists at 16" spacing to build a deck? If so how much weight would the floor support pr sq foot and would I need to use posts in the center of each beam?

Last edited by Larion Swartzen; 11-12-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: some words were added accidently
Larion Swartzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not following .... 20' long beam and 12' spacing of post seems you'd come up about 4' short on your beam

I'd suggest checkin' out the American Wood Council's "Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide" based upon the requirements of the 2009 International Residential Code (this code may or may not apply to your area). it will give you the required size of beams and joists based upon their spans, and how to build a code compliant deck.

Hope this helps ...

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #3

No, you cannot use 6x6 for beams in most cases.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not following .... 20' long beam and 12' spacing of post seems you'd come up about 4' short on your beam

I'd suggest checkin' out the American Wood Council's "Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide" based upon the requirements of the 2009 International Residential Code (this code may or may not apply to your area). it will give you the required size of beams and joists based upon their spans, and how to build a code compliant deck.

Hope this helps ...
He's saying that he wants to use 20' 6x6's 12' apart for girders perpendicular to 2x12's 16" centers.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #5

multiple (4) 2x6's or whatever actually make a stronger beam then a single 6x6.

Is headroom an issue?
Tell use the size of the area you want to build this deck. also the intended use.

If your going wall to wall ( or support) your going to need some large beams or engineered ones.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote