Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Building a deck with 4x10s on a ledger and beam

Do you see anything unreasonable here for my addon deck at my Kent Kottages?

Im starting with a bunch of 8 4x10 wine barrel support beams and (4) 16 4x6 treated beams.

(The yard is on a slant. The deck will be 1 foot up on one end and 12 later it will be 4 high.)

I'm planning on building a deck that is 8' out from my house and 12 ' long.
I will lag bolt a 12' treated 2x6 ledger thru the stucco over the original wood siding into the framing.
Or should I use a treated 4x6 as a ledger to support the 4x10s?

Parallel to the ledger, I will have a treated 12' 4x6 beam 6' out from the house with a 2' overhang of the 8' deck.

I'm planning on 2 4x6 treated posts 3' in from each end with 6' between them.
These will be mounted on beam holders in cement that is 3' into the ground.

Are these 2 posts enough, both 3 from the ends? Or should I move them to 2 in with a 8 center span?

The decking will be reclaimed wine barrel supports: 4x10 doug fir planks 8' long. (laid on their side, 4" tall 10" wide)

They will sit on top of the ledger with 2 7" lag bolts thru each 4x10.(changed from with angle iron nailed from the ledger to these planks) with about 3/8 spacing.
Is 3/8 a good spacing?

Similar 2 7' screws to the 4x6 beam (changed from angle iron attachment to the inside of the 4x6 beam.)

( I was told this was overkill and now will bolt on railings, so NO 2 more treated 4x6s on 2 deep cement like the posts, on the outside 2 corners (up to roof height) to support railings.)

We will put 2 washers between the ledger and the stucco (the ledger at the house with a good thick bead.) And run the lags at a angle (uphill) so any moisture that does get in can't travel the bolt into the house.

I plan to slop on some paint on the tops of the treated ledger and treated 4x6 beam for more protection?

KrisWithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #2

That's a LOT of heavy wood. I am trying to visualize what you are describing, but have a hard time.........just VERY heavy, which needs lots of support.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #3

You need to remove all the siding where the ledger is being attached to the house. The ledger should be mounted to the rim joist and properly flashed
I'd use carraige bolts and nuts over lag bolts.
Ron.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (03-26-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You need to remove all the siding where the ledger is being attached to the house. The ledger should be mounted to the rim joist and properly flashed
I'd use carraige bolts and nuts over lag bolts.
Ron.
I went under the structure today (a 300 sq ft standalone cottage built in 1921).
There is no board at the end of the 2x6 floor joists, just the original wood siding, which is now covered with stucco. There are 2x4s between the 2x6 joists with 2" of siding visible from underneath. The joists sit on a sideways 2x4, that is supported by 2x4s down to the sill plate (2x4) on the concrete foundation. There is not much there to lag the ledger into, except trying to hit the middle of the top 2x4, which doesn't look good to me.
Someone mentioned adding 4x6 pieces between the studs to bolt into, which doesn't seem very structural to me....

I'm debating leaving that alone and digging 2 more posts in the flower bed next to the foundation and adding a second 4x6 beam.

And also instead on angle iron from the 4x10 to beams, putting a 6" screw thru the 4x10 into each beam.

And B.) is my placement of 2 posts under the 12' 4x6 ok at 3' in from each end with 6' between them?
KrisWithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
General Contractor

Ideally, you would want to remove the siding and stucco, and add a rim joist so you have something solid to attach your ledger to.

Attaching over stucco especially is a bad idea as you will never be able to really suck the ledger tight to the structure.

Blocking in between each joist will never be as strong as adding a rim.

A three foot cantilever on a 4X6 is excessive and will most likely sag over time. 6' in between posts is fine if your joist are 2x6 16" oc. Anything bigger and the span will have to get smaller... 2x8 5' max, 2x10 4' max.

After that, I have no idea what your are talking about so good luck.
SeattleSurfaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 4

You should consider building a free standing deck rather than structurally improving your house to accept a ledger. Beyond that, you need to get the local code for decks for your area, the building inspector may have a copy, or can at least direct you to where you can get a copy. Then develop a plan, and submit it for a permit.

If you do not need a permit, you may want to start by purchasing a book on deck design, or Google deck design, there is some free software on line that can help you out. You are using unusual sizes and species of lumber, so you may be a little off the map as far as standard deck code goes, again that is where the building inspector may be of help. I too had a difficult time understanding what you are planning, a well developed plan is ESSENTIAL before you start, in particular you need to carefully locate the posts and supporting footers, verify the acceptability of the spans, check deflection, and make sure the connection details are acceptable to local authority.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x10, deck, ledger, reclaimed